7.3 F250 Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
NO IT IS BLACK!
running too rich is black. Unburned diesel is white .Think of starting up a diesel with out a glow plug .White "smoke" comes out the exhaust till total combustion starts.

The first category is blue-white smoke:

Blue-white smoke may be noticed at engine start-up whether the engine is at normal operating temperature or not. Blue-white smoke can be observed at all ambient temperatures and should not last longer than a minute or two after the vehicle has been driven. Blue-white smoke can return when ambient temperature is below 10 degrees C (50 degrees F), and after the engine is warmed up due to extended idling. This is due to combustion chambers cooling own during periods of extended idling time. Heavy blue-white smoke may also occur if the engine is operated at full throttle with the transmission in neutral or park. If you see continuous Blue-white smoke while driving, then you probably have air being sucked into the fuel system.

The second category is white smoke:

White smoke and blue-white smoke share some of the same characteristics. White smoke is fuel not being burned. Extreme white smoke can be caused by the combustion chambers cooling down. One cause of this could be incorrect injection pump timing. Coolant getting into the combustion chamber can cause white smoke also. Possible causes are blown head gaskets, cracked heads cavitation, etc.

The third category is black smoke:

Black smoke is caused by an over rich mixture and normally occurs whenever the engine is working hard. Like going up a steep grade, being loaded heavy or during heavy acceleration. More black smoke can be observed when the vehicle is operated at higher altitudes because the air is thinner. A dirty air filter is also another cause of excessive black smoke. If black smoke is noticed while the engine is idling at low altitude or under normal driving conditions this condition should be diagnosed a.s.a.p. to prevent engine damage.

The fourth category is blue smoke:

Blue smoke is not normal and you do not want to be driving behind a truck that produces it. Blue smoke occurs when oil is entering the combustion chamber and is burning along with the fuel. Blue smoke usual indicates a condition which should be corrected a.s.a.p. Blue smoke also smells like oil burning. Possible causes include valve seals or cracked piston rings

I believe it would be fair to say the following:

White smoke is unburned fuel and black smoke is over rich mixture caused by excessive fuel.

If you put your foot to the floor in most diesels....the fuel injectors are just pouring in fuel and the black smoke is excessive fuel not being used.

White smoke would be abnormal and black normal under heavy loads/not baring a clogged air filter.

Sorry for the delay.

No major progress yet he4nce not much to report by way of a fix.

First off - I rang to claim warranty since I have a Ford 4 year extended care warranty that cost almost $3K

Next I had the F truck put on a tilt tray truck and driven the 25 miles to the next town with a diesel fitter, for the princely sum of $330.00.

Next I ordered online a "auto engeniuty" software package to load onto my sons laptop and a USB cable to suit the F truck. This is so we can download the engine codes and hopefully determine what is wrong.

That was almost $500, once air freight express postage was factored intro the price.

OK..

So now I am waiting on the postal pixies, almost a gorilla in total out of pocket...and get this...

When I rang about the warranty claim - they said they have no record of my policy because the dealer never forwarded the paperwork (or $2880.00) I paid for the policy - even tho I have a copy in my hand.

So it takes a week for the dealer to get the paperwork and cash to Ford Warranty people before they will speak to me once they have my details up on their computer.

So after a week without a vehicle and a Gorilla out of pocket they start telling me they won't cover the cost of the software needed to diagnose the problem or the truck transport under the terms of the warranty!

i.e they don't want to refund the Gorilla I'm already out of pocket!

Then they say they will pay the deisel fitter the standard for hours listed in the ford book for the repair - for whatever proves to be wrong...

So - this is how I figure it - since they won't pay for the software - i won';t loan it to the diesel fitter, thus he will have to bill ford warranty for everything he tries to fix it by best guesstimate at the ford hours allowed in their book by a trial and error processs until he eventually works out what is wrong - who knows - he may have to rehbuild the whole engine to do that without the software!

Coulda saverd them a lotta cash if they werent being [censored] - but hey you get that - it;s their money - of they want to waste it - then so be it - far from me to stop them.

The fitter won';t complain - hes getting paid for everything he does by Ford Warranty - hopefully he will make enough out of them to refund me my software and truckage fee!

No wonder Ford are going broke - they don';t deserve to be in the Vehicle business the way they treat customers.

There is such a thing as just being plain "pig headed".

I was quite happy to out lay the cash and make all the arrangements, loan the laptop fior the purpos e- pay the trucker etc etc

Where would ford be now If I had left the truck on the side of the road, and let them work out the trucking and repair details with one of their dealers 1000 kilometers away?

The truckage alone would have cost them $3K (not to mtneuion it was broke down alonside our equivalent of a "injun reservation" meaning there wouldn;t have been one unbroken window by morning or one tyre with air in it - and most of the things on or in it would have been stolen - in effect they would have been up for a NEW truck.

I do honestly hope FORD go broke and everyone loses their job etc - they need to learn a little humility and customer service, they need to learn to be thankful they have a job at all - and that the customer is always right.

Fancy starting to talk the we will cover this we wont cover that when a customer is broken down 1000 kilometers from the neareswtr dealership.

I hope the repairer of my choice - which I am entitled to use under the particular warranty I purchased - takes thousands of hours to work out whats wrong with the vehicle and FORD extended care warranty have to pay him all his time and costs on a trial and error basis to fix the mongrel truck THEY designed and created!

I tried to help, with the software and trucking, making all the arrangements etc -= and they dont want to pay those bills - well I can assure you they are gonna faint when they start getting the bills from the diesel fitter working blind on the truck with no codes software!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink!

Ford are just totally mismanaged - they need a new CEO to go thru with a clean sweep broom and get some new people - I am far from impressed.

We will see where this ends up - it could have been a few hours for a UVCH or just the gasket plugs loose / burnt maybe - who knows - but why should I provide them my software to save them warranty costs without getting paid for it?

Screw them.

Cheers

CEO will make a ton on money if the company makes a profit of goes bankrupt. No risk just $$$$ sounds like a good job to me.

Flywest,

I'm sorry you are having such a poor warranty experience with Ford-let us now how you (and they)make out.

When next I go to town, assuming the package with software has arrived - I will load it up and swing by the diesel fitters and we will see if we can pull some codes.
I have no idea yet how to do that - does one connect the laptop via USB cable I presume to some connection under the steering column in behind the removable panel there?

Mines RH drive,I know the actual computer thing is on the left hand side passenger compartment firewall, but didn't see any USB connection port so am wondering just exactly where one finds this mystery plug in port exactly on a RH drive model?

Anyone have a close up photo of what it looks like so I know what I'm looking for?

Next, I am assuming I either turn the ignition on (or start the truck up?) to get the codes?

Does the "auto enginuity" software actually tell me what the codes mean, or do I need some listing from Ford themselves to interpret the codes?

For example - what is the code number for a UVCH chafing problem?..and where does one find this info?.

I have no doubt the Diesel fitter guy will know exactly how to fix this problem - assuming we can determine what it is exactly or close enough.

I just want my truck fixed is all - not really interested in the warranty people, or their issues at this stage, I'll deal with them in due course or I'll get a lawyer to do so. Usually when they see you mean business and have the lawyers involved - they realize that if they lose - they are going to be paying YOUR legal costs as well - then they start to see things differently.

Not that I like the litigious society we are becoming, but sadly commonsense isn't so common these days - and these companies seem to develop "internal policies" that require the intervention of the legal profession to get any sort of common sense to prevail.

In effect, some of these companies are their own worst enemy's.

This will take some time to sort because I only get to the mainland about once a fortnight, to collect mail or see the diesel fitter.

I'll report back when something (anything) transpires.

Cheers

If it is the under the valve cover wire harness for example it will /could be several codes . I have the program it is interesting . I really hate high tech stuff. mnakes something reliable and turns it fiddley and expensive to diagnose and repair.

Sorry for the delay.
What a rigomorole!
The software arrived and I loaded it up on the laptop, but apparently like many others who paid good $ I got a bad disc..and catastrophic failure messages transferring vehicle profiles file.
I did an advanced install and left that file out - since it is only used for actual analysis while driving type tests...and I just wanted to pull codes.
Then I logged into their website and was able to download a working version online.
One of the difficulties with all this is - you have to be connected to the vehicle while trying to do anything with the software so that meant eventually 3 trips on 3 separate days into Karratha to hook to the truck to try and communicate with the PCM with no luck.
Eventually it worked out with emails to Auto Enginuity and the time delay (12 hours difference) that the software isn't actually compatible with F trucks UNLESS you pay another US$150 on top of the US$250 I already paid, to get some 32 digit software bundle unlock code so the software will talk to the PCM in the truck.
Apparently the PCM is NOT OBD11 compliant, and without forking over the extra $ they won't unlock your software to talk to the truck....so basically I lost a week working this out.

With all that out the way I DID manage to pull the codes & run an injector Buzz test, and it turns out that all 4 injectors on bank 2 aren't working - it seems because the Under Valve Cover Harness
clip must have pulled apart.

So I found a couple online articles about what needs doing and a Ford Specific kit to stop it happening again & forwarded it to my diesel fitter - who will do his best to getting around to taking a look at the F truck as soon as he can.

Up this way that could be a fortnight to a month, then likely a wait for parts form the USA, not expecting it back on the road for maybe 6 weeks or so...

Something simple like a new radiator hose can be a 4 - 6 week wait from Ford as a spare part.

Nothing happens quick in these parts....every contractor, small business, transport operator etc works on "NT Time".

NT =

Not Today
Not Tomorrow
Not Tuesday
Not Thursday
Not This week
Not This month
Not This year

That's when what you need will be here / ready or repaired / warranteed or replaced etc

This is the Oil & Gas centre of production - Oil companies here have many many $ Millions to waste, so everyone does pretty well without actually doing any WORK - why start now and ruin a beautiful arrangement?.

I guess if I am lucky I might get my truck back some time this next 6 months - kinda depends what mood the guys in.

Example - left my sons vehicle with diesel fitter for 2 axle seals, an oil change and a air conditioner re-gas!

He had it 4 weeks.

Picked it up ready for a 1000 mile road trip...the axel seals done. But NOT the oil change or air con re-gas!

So - went all over the town to 4 different air con places - 3 said no way can we do it today - next week or fortnight maybe, one place said bring it back in a month.

Last place said - "yeah i could do it today if I wanted too but I don't, ya see I have 3 or 4 small jobs I've set for myself today and I don't want to work too hard so - bring it back tomorrow.

So...

We went and changed the oil ourselves - the son drove it 1000 miles overnight and the next day was in the capital city at Bro in Laws workshop where they re gassed the air con in one hour.

Life's different in the big city, if you pass up a job the guy down the road will grab it - but it ain't like that up here in oil & gas country.

The diesel guy who passes up your work will likely get flown out to an oil rig in a chopper to change a fuel or oil filter on a diesel genset, get dropped back home by chopper and submit a $15K invoice for his 2 hours work and be paid it no questions asked by big oil or gas interests.

Thats just how it is - round here - the little guy - they don;t want your work or $ they are too used to making a killing on the Oil & Gas industry needs - who don't care what it costs as longas it is done NOW.

It takes some getting used too, I have to tell you that - I went to 3 tyre stores looking to have 4 new tyres fitted to a light truck (worth $1200) on the same day - the best response I got was "come back in a fortnight and we might be able to give you a quote - but it'll be a month before we can supply and fit them.

They had the tyres in stock, I could see them in the rack - there was 5 guys all sitting round in the air conditioned office - it was over 100 f in the workshop so non of them wanted to do the work that day and were just sending cutomers away with excuses etc.

Guy who own's the shop lives 1000+ miles away in the capital city - he don't care - he has contracts for supplying and fitting all the mine vehicles with tyres - that shop makes over $1M a year WITHOUT doing any off the street tyre fittings..all done on mine vehicles booked in a month in advance.

Thats just how it is up here - you have to get used to it or leave...or die of stress trying to change it.

No small businesses can get staff - because house rents due to mining staff demand are $2000/ WEEK.... a motel room is $350 a night, a square of grass at the local caravan park to pitch a tent (without power) is $600 a WEEK.

Unless you can pay a tyre fitter 5 grand a week - where is he going to live?

Thats just how it is - I am slowly getting used to it.

I live on an Island - i guess my truck will be ready when it's ready, hey at least I ain't wearing it out!

Cheers

If you can sell it and walk away relatively even once it is fixed, I would just sell it. If somebody will pay you good money for it, wash your hands of it.

They are alright trucks...but like anything you have to be somewhere you can get parts and service for it. You don't appear to be in one of those places.

I couldn't even handle buying a car without a dealership 90 miles away that stocks parts, nevermind a thousand miles and six week waits for parts from another continent.

Hi,
well it all sounds bad!

I ran my own fleet of Interstate Trucks all over the Eastern States and to West to Adelaide for many many years and never found such problems. My vehicles always covered around 220-250000kms per annum and their longest leg was often in excess of 3000kms! Much of this was hundreds of kilometers away from Dealerships or Service Providers.

The nearest Porsche Dealer to me is 800kms away - I do much of my own work!

Modified or rare vehicles are a utilisation risk here - and probably anywhere!

And yes OZ does have a labour and skills shortage problem - too many jobs too and some people who don't want to do anything at all except draw benefits. Queensland where I live may be the worst for this. However it is a Global issue in many developed countries with a strong economy!

The advice to sell is probably wise - your problems will only get worse with time and distance

IMHO consider buying a standard specification vehicle to do your tasks, it always works out best in the end!

Last edited:
The problem is not that bad at all .What you had to go through made it bad .I had a similar problem with my wifes Superduty. Is the connector loose on the out side connector ? Take the valve cover off ad plug it in and wiggle it to see if it stays connected.

Speaking to the diesel fitter this morning. They got the rocker covers off - expecting fully to find a loose connector on bank 2 since non of the injectors fire on that side when you perform a buzz test.

From memory the code was P1816 or something IDM etc Powertrain and injector harness or somesuch.

Anyway apparently there is no sign of a loose plug in either bank under the valve cover...they appear to be nipped up tight, and coupled together correctly.....so thats a mystery in itself...

Maybe the pins on the outside connection are burnt?

I don't know - I wrote down the list of codes and gave it to the fitter, so don't have it with me - but I am sure this is a UVCH problem most likely.

I did "save the session" on the laptop but apparently that doesn't save the list of pulled trouble codes I have now since found out when I re opened the software, you only get a saved copy if you hit the print button, how stupid is that? whos going to try and print anything while your outside with ya laptop hooked up to your truck! You hardly have a printer connected but it seems thats the only way to save those pulled list of diagnostic trouble codes...

It looks like another trip to the mainland for me...and back to the fitters with the laptop to do this all over again.

Man I'm getting sick of this F truck - its a wonderful vehicle when it goes but a nightmare when it doesn't.

Selling it is high on the agenda.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back