6T40 Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2010 Malibu in the signature below has the 6T40 6 speed auto. I was looking to drop the fluid but really don't want to mess with the fill plug to check the level hot for a few reasons. First off I have no way to get this car level to check it while between a narrow temp range, second I'm an apartment dweller and don't want to make a big song and dance out of doing this.

So my idea was to drain what I can cold, measure it, and add new Dex 6 of the same temperature.

Is my thinking off here? Also does anyone know where I can get a graduated oil pan so I can catch and measure everything that comes out? I'd use a jug or something but I'm afraid of losing some fluid and not being accurate.

My F150 is the same way. I use my griots suction pump to pull out around 4 quarts cold , then measure that same amount of fresh fluid and put it in with my Motive lube installer. By pulling 4 quarts the sump still has some fluid in it, so I crank the truck up and start filling till it's all gone. Close her up and I'm done.
Started doing this every oil change from around 60k on.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
My 2010 Malibu in the signature below has the 6T40 6 speed auto. I was looking to drop the fluid but really don't want to mess with the fill plug to check the level hot for a few reasons. First off I have no way to get this car level to check it while between a narrow temp range, second I'm an apartment dweller and don't want to make a big song and dance out of doing this.

So my idea was to drain what I can cold, measure it, and add new Dex 6 of the same temperature.

Is my thinking off here? Also does anyone know where I can get a graduated oil pan so I can catch and measure everything that comes out? I'd use a jug or something but I'm afraid of losing some fluid and not being accurate.

When I changed the ATF in my 2011 Cruze which has the same A/T (I think) I did exactly that (drained it cold, measured the amount drained and replaced the exact same amount)....it seemed to work well as the car ran even better afterwards....

I drain some aft ( about 3qt.) from the torque converter each year by the removing the converter screw.Get a measured bucked from the paint dept. at home depot. the car is a 2005 Malibu.

My 15 malibu has the same trans. I plan on changing the fluid out this coming spring. I should be around 25k by then. All u need is a 11mm socket and a long skinny funnel.

What i plan on doing is let the car sit overnight and in the morning draiin the fluid and measure it and put the same amount back in. I plan in using maxlife full syn.

I've seen the plug when changing the oil but I noticed what looked to be another drain plug for the tranny that's higher up on the trans. What plug is this and should it be draining also. It's on our Traverse

Originally Posted By: PolarisX

This is exactly what I did with my '15 Chevy Cruze; no issues to date...

Originally Posted By: chevman4life
I've seen the plug when changing the oil but I noticed what looked to be another drain plug for the tranny that's higher up on the trans. What plug is this and should it be draining also. It's on our Traverse

That's the fluid level plug. With the car level, trans at operating temp and in Park and engine running, ATF is supposed to dribble out of that hole when it is at the proper level. Since I have a sloped driveway, I decided to do the "replace the amount drained" method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back