6r80 service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, serviced my F150's 6r80 transmission this afternoon. Pretty smooth and easy, especially with the nice fluid transfer pump which I picked up for $8 from Menards. Was a little messier than I meant to be and since I didn't replace the pan with a drain plug maybe next time I'll suction the fluid out first to save the driveway. Two questions I thought of though...

1. Having a hard time getting it filled just right. How well do these trans tolerate over fill? I have heard they hold vacuum so I'd imagine there isn't anywhere for fluid to self-level... Then again, I've heard they don't like to be low, either. Haven't run it to full temp yet, but the hose going into my trans cooler was warming up despite ATF temps being in the 60C range. I do have the factory aux cooler as well as a remove filter plumbed in.

2. Using a Napa Platinum (Wix XP) 41085 on my remote filter. Changed it after two years. Pan and fluid looked very clean with minimal deposits or slug noted. Pan magnet was almost completely clean. What would be a recommended service interval for this filter? Its plumbed in as a full flow on the cooler circuit. I know the trans has an internal cooler thermostat but I don't know much else. I don't want to loose cooler flow due to filter restriction.

1. Why are you having issues with getting the fluid level right? I know the dipstick is in a [censored] spot but aside from that it's no different than 90% of the transmissions out there

2. Filters are cheap. If you're in doubt, change it sooner rather than later. I'd go for 50k, maybe a hair sooner if you're towing with it

After you empty it out, it needs to be running to get the right quantity back in. My 2009 and 2016 will overflow if they are not running when replacing the fluid with the same amount. About 2 liters don't fit without it running.

I had a remote setup on my 2009 with a Fram Ultra (X8 I think) and am using a magnefine on my 2016 right now. I just replace the upper cooler line between the rad and external transmission cooler with the filter and two pieces of hose. Seems to be working for me.

Well, got it warmed up to temp to make the everything was working good including warming up the cooler and remote filter. Took out about 1-1.5 quarts which it was over filled with... It was the usual hassle with these trying not to burn myself on the cat. Nice thick pair of leather work gloves helped quite a bit
wink.gif

Anyways, I'm quite surprised at the difference just doing a pan drop and fill made. Like I said, old fluid appeared to be in good shape with minimal visible contaminants, and only has 20k miles since a dealer performed full fluid exchange. Old fluid was a dark, even red. Trans has always been a little goofy, not quite sure how to describe it but often would have a odd feeling to it that I just can't describe. Well, thats gone. It also feels....more responsive... if that makes any sense. I don't think its placebo although the temps are 20 degress less than the past few weeks so maybe thats related. Anyways, I'm most curious to see how long until it slams again. Sometimes, though rarely these days, it slams into drive. More frequently, maybe once a week, it slams the first 1-2 shift after starting up. Had some TSB's performed for solenoids a couple years back but it didn't improve anything.

I plan on changing the transmission fluid on my 2014 Mustang GT with this transmission pretty soon. I'm hoping it goes smoothly for me. I bought a factory transmission pan and had a drain plug welded in and will use it when I do the change. I plan on measuring how much I take out and put that amount back in. I also have a dipstick from Performance Automatic that I plan on installing to make refills a lot easier.

Any other tips on changing the fluid on these transmissions?

Just remember a pan drop does not change all the fluid. Or even half in my truck... although it is a good amount.

From what others have said, it takes almost 8 quarts to do a pan drop and filter change and the entire trans takes 13 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back