6k miles with Mobil 1 AFE in our Subaru outback 2.5

So this is interesting!

This was a run of the same oil, M1 0w20 AFE, but run to 6k miles and 8 months.

I've installed a custom bypass filtration setup, with a parker 7 micron filter from the oil sensor port, back to a modified oil cap.

The filter in the factory location is a WIX gold.

We run the car with mixed driving, and through a Canadian winter.

The previous test is in the right hand column.

My handwriting was scratchy, and the mileage on the oil is actually 6k not 600miles.

I've replaced 500ml after the sample, and will report back in another 2k miles!

This will probably take us to a year and 8k.

I was happy to see the fuel level next to nil.....and the TBN still rock solid.

The viscosity....is ok.....I'm tempted to bump up to the 0w30 depending on what the last test says

Thanks for your thoughts!
Screenshot_20230209-084106.png

IMG_20220909_091256116.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With a 365*F flashpoint… your fuel level is NOT nil…
Yeah, I just read it thoroughly. It's funny, the Blackstone crew weren't concerned.....but then I'd read shortly after about how they measure fuel.

I wonder what the flashpoint of virgin M1 0w20 is

I did wonder if the direct Injection on these newer engines might cause a bit of dilution.....possibly why they've stuck with 6 month 6k changes

I would run the 0W-20 on a 5000 mile OCI schedule. The report looks fine. Some fuel but that’s expected these days. A higher grade oil is not going to change that. More frequent oil changes are the key.

Thanks guys. Yes, we're away at the moment and I'm not able to black out our contact Info properly. This was the best I could come up with

I am a bit concerned and dissapointed that the fuel issue may cut this short.

It seems a waste of oil at a TBN of four still remaining.

There's always the option in Canada of the Mobil Full Synthetic. It's really inexpensive.

I don't have any issue moving on from M1 either if there was a better cost to change ratio. Lol.

If the wear numbers and viscosity as all as good as they are.......is the flash point a big concern? Even the oil level has been rock solid across the interval

just zoom it in on the numbers so we can read it after bitog scales it down.

if you post a smaller image it will get scaled down less and be readable.
if you start out with the image below it will remain bigger and readable.
obviously My pic is for size demonstation only
I snipped yours after it was shrunk down.. so the quality isnt there
like it would be if you posted it from the org.

image_2023-02-11_103034632.png

IE

Thanks guys. Yes, we're away at the moment and I'm not able to black out our contact Info properly. This was the best I could come up with

I am a bit concerned and dissapointed that the fuel issue may cut this short.

It seems a waste of oil at a TBN of four still remaining.

There's always the option in Canada of the Mobil Full Synthetic. It's really inexpensive.

I don't have any issue moving on from M1 either if there was a better cost to change ratio. Lol.
AFE is a full synthetic

Back