'69 Charger R/T, *THE* General Lee is for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to eBay Auction

Currently at 2.3 million for *THE* General Lee.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

For that price, I want Daisy Duke to be included with it. Well, the 1981 Daisy Duke. She hasn't aged as gracefully as the car has.

Interesting, and this one does look special, but from what I understand there was no *the* General Lee. I think they went through almost 2 of them per day during filming.

There is a car dealer in northeastern IL that always has turned out quite a few Generals.
I HATE the Duke Boyz!
All the nice MOPARS sent to an early grave
mad.gif

I noticed that when the G Lee did jumps or flips, it had a tiny single exhaust system with no cat.
There are more General Lee's than 'Babe' the pig, or Lassies.

How many new jumps did they do?

The shows were pretty much the same, so I bet a lot of it was canned footage, that was cut into the next episode.

I can't imagine they jumped a car for every jump that made it to the screen.

Well, we are talking about Hollywood, so forget that I'm trying to be logical.

Sorry.

Many years ago I recall somebody interviewing Bo Duke (I don't remember the actor's name) or maybe it was Luke. The blond headed one, anyway, was the one being interviewed. They asked him how many times the car had been wrecked. He said there was a whole fleet of them that they were smashing all the time. Didn't sound like there was just one, by any means.

Neither one of the Duke Boys seemed to work a job or earn any money. Made me kind of wonder how they bought, maintained, and kept a car like that going.

Oh, I'm sure they did more than one.

How did they keep that car going? Daisy's tips from the Boar's Nest, LOL

Wasn't the whole basis of the show that the family made its money running moonshine? didn't Daisy work just to make things look legit?

Jessie was supposedly a "reformed" moonshiner, but in at least one episode, was coerced by Boss Hogg to make moonshine for him, since he was supposedly one of the best.

How they made money was just a pesky detail that they didn't allow to get in the way of making a TV show.

This may come as a shock to some, but TV doesn't always reflect reality. Not even reality shows!

According to Wikipedia, 309 '68 and '69 Chargers were used in the filming of the series, most of which were scrapped after being jumped only once each. This was due to frame damage safety concerns.

To this day I refuse to watch that show because I think it was a travesty that they destroyed so many of that wonderful, beautiful car...it's always been one of my favourites.
frown.gif

The Hazzard County cop cars were no match for that Dodge Charger. As a teenager, I'd enjoy hearing the sound of that muscle car rumble!

The episode I always wanted to see them make, but never did: Mel Gibson, of then current Mad Max fame, tired of bringing law and order to the Australian Outback, shows up in Hazard County. Maybe a bounty hunter type role, similar to Clint Eastwood in his Spaghetti Westerns. Behind the wheel of his 73 Ford Falcon XB GT Coupe ("the last of the V8 interceptors")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pursuit_Special
Max is deputized to bring justice to this sleepy Georgia town. That would at least make it a fair contest.

It's not even from the 70s show:
"Bo's General Lee"
Completed 12/97
#4 of 4
426 HEMI

There was an episode where the duke gang painted up two additional chargers so there'd be three General Lees. This was apparantly to distract the known number of sherrifs away from downtown Hazzard where they were liberating something from Hogg's grasp.

For a car with present-day historical significance, it was a readily available cheaper used car at the time of filming. It'd be like me wrecking a bunch of 1996 Mustangs or whatever nowaday... and saving the v6/auto "chick cars" for the wreck-um stunts.

Off topic: Remember the "sisters" in "the waltons"? They made moonshine too.

I had an old "MAD" magazine with "The Dopes of HapHazzard.

They took great delight in the "T.V. sitcom shortcut", where frames of belting through the bush were followed by ending up at exactly the same point on the same road that they started on.

As to Max Rockatansky, rumour has it that MM4 is about to be made...I think it features walking frames.

If you have a chance to purchase the new Duke's of Hazzard movie on DVD, pick it up. They show how they make the cars jump, the stunts, and all. A great scene on drifting the Charger around the traffic circle in Atlanta?, and an interview with the fellow that was driving was interesting also. For those of you that liked the "old Daisy", well, in one scene, Jessica Simpson strolls into the Police Station to talk to Ennis with a red bikini on, need I say more? It's just a crash 'em up, burn 'em up movie, but, that Red Bikini and what was in it WAS real!!
You're right, when those Chargers land, they are ready for the junk yard. I saw on some show that when they were filming the series, the producer was scouring the junk yards and car lots all over the West Coast for any Chargers that were to be found.

Wow, I gotta rebuild a few of these cars. I could retire, and then some! They used dozens in the show. What's the difference? Some folks must have tons of money and nothing to do with it.

>>>It's just a crash 'em up, burn 'em up movie, but, that Red Bikini and what was in it WAS real!!

Hmmm... depends on your meaning of real.
laugh.gif

What a hanging curve that one was!
fruit.gif

I had a few of them. One of them we bought from a studio in Conyers (or was in Covington) Georgia. I bought 3 '69 chargers that were all allegedly cars from the show. All had 440's one was a 4 speed. Most likely none of them were actually from the show. This was all in the early 90's.

I wish I had one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back