'69 Bronco w/302 Valvoline AC 10W-40 2745mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil was in service for about 9 months including winter storage. About two qts of make-up oil was added. 8 oz of valvoline synpower oil treatment was also added. This 302 dynoed at about 300hp and gets run in all conditions from winter hunting to high speed highway in 100 deg weather. There is probably more hours on this oil then your average oil gets because of several weekends of slow speed fourwheeling.

Valvoline All climate 10w-40 + 8oz synpower additive
Miles on Engine 45000
Miles on oil 2745

Al 5
Fe 35
Cu 2
Cr 2
Pb 533
Sn 2
Si 16
Na 192
K 38
Mo 126
B 23
Ca 2194
Mg 125
P 981
Zn 1209
Vis 12.9
coolant Neg
Fuel dil Neg

Iron is high but that doesn't worry me as much as the high sodium and potassium. I hate trying to chase down little coolant leaks. I was surprised by the low Silicon considering that valvoline has about 7ppm to start with. Add that to a K&N filter and lots of dusty fourwheeling and thought I would see Si numbers in 20s at least. I guess I should quit saying bad things about K&Ns.
Who can guess what caused the high lead? The lab couldn't

The viscosity was on its way out of grade but I don't know if this is normal for old carbed stuff. There isn't many UOAs of old iron on this forum.

I'll probably run another interval on rotella 5w-40 and see what happens. Maybe add some magic coolant tabs. This bronco really needs a 351W anyways plus it doesn't owe me anything.

Off have you seen the VOA for this valvoline 10W-40 and add the VSOT VOA. Could this account for some of the sodium and potassum?

I did a VOA search for valvoline 10W-40 found a durablend one. It does not show any sodium. Its the same for the VSOT. Sorry I cant help you any more.

Let me be the first to tell you that you have a coolant leak.
frown.gif
frown.gif
You might have the perfect storm..coolant leak and very hard driving conditions.

Dyson Analysis looks like it is necessary. Please do this yesterday
frown.gif

quote:

OffOrWFO posted:
Who can guess what caused the high lead? The lab couldn't

Your high Lead is from running fuel with Lead in it in the past, it is quite possible if you were to take a screw driver and scrape the bottom inside your oil pan when you have the oil drain nut off, the tip of the the screw driver would have Lead on it, over the years of using Leaded Fuel the Lead has accumulated on the bottom of your oil pan, your Tin is low, so, I see no problems with bearing wear but you should take care of the Coolant Leak.

I may or may not have a coolant leak. If I do it's small and isn't causing extreme wear yet. The lab was very worried about the high lead indicating bearing wear but they said nothing about the sodium and potassium. I forgot to mention that I run leaded fuel from time to time. But considering the insane lead numbers compared to the other wear numbers, I thought they would have figured that out.
This got me to thinking just now that I also run a lead substitute when I'm not running leaded fuel. I have to do this because the fool that put this engine together in the 80's didn't put hard valve seats in.
So now my question is how do I find out if the lead substitute has sodium or Potassium in it. I wouldn't doubt the sodium but potassium seems unlikey. Normally when you see strange numbers like this you drop all additives for a OCI and see what happens but I can't really do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back