68 Godge D100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Mopar manual transmissions do not like synthetic lubes.

I assume this applies to Godges as well.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Old Mopar manual transmissions do not like synthetic lubes.

I assume this applies to Godges as well.
wink.gif

Really? My Chrysler designed and New Process built A833 passenger car 4-speed shifted much easier with Redline MT-90 than with generic 80W-90 GL-5 especially when cold. His '68 D100 should have a New Process 435. The 435 will be a bit expensive to swap to Redline because it holds a lot of oil. Even my car 4-speed holds about 4 quarts.

If you used synthetic GL-5 rather than a GL-4 like the Reline MT-90 I could certainly understand you having problems. GL-5 oils are meant to reduce friction in hypoid gears which have sliding tooth contact. This extra slipperiness makes it difficult for the syncros to do their job. Reline MT-90 is a GL-4 and does not have the extreme pressure additives which degrade synchronizer operation.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
If you used synthetic GL-5 rather than a GL-4 like the Reline MT-90 I could certainly understand you having problems. GL-5 oils are meant to reduce friction in hypoid gears which have sliding tooth contact. This extra slipperiness makes it difficult for the syncros to do their job. Reline MT-90 is a GL-4 and does not have the extreme pressure additives which degrade synchronizer operation.

That is exactly what I meant. Thanks for the clarification. I am not familiar with Redline products.

Then you might really like the Redline MTL or MT-90. It's not cheap stuff, but if you don't have a gearbox failure or leak you'll probably never have to replace it.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Then you might really like the Redline MTL or MT-90. It's not cheap stuff, but if you don't have a gearbox failure or leak you'll probably never have to replace it.

Agreed. Get the GL-5 out and try MTL. GL5's EP additives tend to defeat the function of the synchros. There's even an episode of "Jay Leno's Garage" where he talks about how he was convinced his Hemi Challenger needed a transmission rebuild, but after switching to MTL it worked perfectly.

(Howdy, Josh...
55.gif
)

Don't use MTL if the tranny specs a 75W-90 gear oil, use MT90 or 75W-90NS instead. Amosil MTG would also work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back