'68 Cadillac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told this is a '68, but I'm not too sure on model. A search for Fleetwood Brougham comes up with an identical car, but has a longer roof line and the rear window has a separate vent in front of the C-pillar. Nice car nevertheless:

zuqx5t.jpg

Looks good in the sun. Like the pastel paint; sad it's not in vogue much anymore. (And would look dumb on a new bubble shaped car)

When I was a kid my dad had a wealthy customer that bought a new Cadillac every year. He would occasionally let my dad "use" the Cadillac as he knew my dad admired them. I can remember "going to town" in his 1968 Cadillac...can't remember which model but I CAN remember being overwhelmed with the luxury and gadgets (it had the "twilight sentinel" light dimmers, climate control and all the power gee gaws including the front seat). Seeing this was a flashback for me.

When I was a kid my dad had a wealthy customer that bought a new Cadillac every year. He would occasionally let my dad "use" the Cadillac as he knew my dad admired them. I can remember "going to town" in his 1968 Cadillac...can't remember which model but I CAN remember being overwhelmed with the luxury and gadgets (it had the "twilight sentinel" light dimmers, climate control and all the power gee gaws including the front seat). Seeing this was a flashback for me.

Not a problem at all, thanks for sharing!
thumbsup2.gif
That, to me, is also what I consider luxury. Not the stuff you get these days which causes more problems than they are worth.

Reading through your post, and noticing your location, I couldn't help but wonder how people drove these cars in the snow. Nowadays, everyone thinks FWD and AWD are God's gift to the automotive world "because it's so good in snow". Makes me wonder if people were just better drivers back then.

Hello there Falcon, and that is a Cadillac DeVille 4 dr car. My one friend has a 2 dr 68' coupe de ville and my brother has a very nice Cadillac Convertible DeVille, thats also a 68'

nice picture and nice car,

adam

Car looks awesome..I knew a few people who owned them and loved them..They had no issues with them and the climate control system on those cars worked perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Nowadays, everyone thinks FWD and AWD are God's gift to the automotive world "because it's so good in snow". Makes me wonder if people were just better drivers back then.

Cars and newborn babies make people whacko with consumption of things that are ridiculous and not needed.

thumbsup2.gif
That, to me, is also what I consider luxury. Not the stuff you get these days which causes more problems than they are worth.

Reading through your post, and noticing your location, I couldn't help but wonder how people drove these cars in the snow. Nowadays, everyone thinks FWD and AWD are God's gift to the automotive world "because it's so good in snow". Makes me wonder if people were just better drivers back then.

Comically, my grandmother had a '72 Eldorado, which was of course FWD.
grin.gif

Looked like this:

cadsfront.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

It wasn't a problem back then, they wouldn't start when it was cold and snowy, LOL.

Not exactly true. But many more cars wouldn't run back in '68 than today due to the lack of modern computer controls.

Even if you had FWD, the tires were so bad, you were not going anywhere
smile.gif

I've had a 63 coupe de ville and a 68 just like the one pictured.

Great old cars, but full of the foibles that plagued anything of that era. To keep them running sharp they needed tweaking every 2 or 3 thousand miles, and they ate tires and brakes like candy!

And despite being lectured here by some Dork who thought rwd was bad in snow, with proper tires it's no problemo.

Man caddy's sure look good old and new! Not sure if I could ever afford old or new though! Sure love the looks of this one though
20.gif
Someday I will have one.

001_0001.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nowadays, everyone thinks FWD and AWD are God's gift to the automotive world "because it's so good in snow". Makes me wonder if people were just better drivers back then.

Cars and newborn babies make people whacko with consumption of things that are ridiculous and not needed.

Still don't understand why so many people hate on FWD. For the average car, and the average driver, it is excellent. Better control in snow, it's cheaper, simpler, lighter, more compact, and more efficient. Sure it's not the best for sporty driving, but for most purposes it is just as good, and better, than RWD.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Still don't understand why so many people hate on FWD. For the average car, and the average driver, it is excellent. Better control in snow, it's cheaper, simpler, lighter, more compact, and more efficient. Sure it's not the best for sporty driving, but for most purposes it is just as good, and better, than RWD.

Agree. I am surprised people hate FWD with double wishbone suspension but would tolerate solid rear axles on a RWD.

I for one do not like FWD cars..I feel the RWD cars are more stable and better handling when I am going 80 MPH in the Express Lanes in Miami-Dade or when I am driving on I-95 to NYC.

I have driven [never owned] FWD Camry,Accord and some others and did not like their handling one bit when I was going those speeds..For surface street driving they are OK.

As far as driving in the snow goes and I never had a issue driving from Queens N.Y. to upstate N.Y. in the snow..In the monsoon rain down here I feel the RWD handles better.

That is just IMHO..To each their own..There are probably some people right here who have never driven a RWD vehicle [I know some people down here who never did] so they really can't compare the two.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Man caddy's sure look good old and new! Not sure if I could ever afford old or new though! Sure love the looks of this one though
20.gif
Someday I will have one.

001_0001.jpg

I had one just like that one park next to me today..It had limo tint all around t-boot..I took a good look at it..I did not like it one bit but my friend I was with did like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back