66 Impala & 83 Old's. Parents vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was sitting here at work and I got hit by my child hood memories for some reason. I did a search for a 1966 Chevrolet Impala which my father still owned while I was growing up in the 80's(born in 81 he had it well up to 87). Not my dads car in the pic but exactly what it looked like sans the rims(same color).

1966-Chevrolet-Impala-Blue-fa-sy.jpg

I still remember sitting in the back seat and as my dad drove I would be thinking in my head for the car to go faster and faster and it would!.

And my mother not one to be out done had a 83/84 Old's Cutlass Supreme. It was that light baby blue color with a baby blue interior(totally a chick car).

5068-1983-Oldsmobile-CutlassSupreme.jpg

My mother drove it till the late 80's when my dad had to get rid of the Impala(to many people hit into it). My dad to this day regrets getting rid of the Olds. He had it for maybe a month before letting the color of the car get to him and did a straight up trade with his co-worker buddy for a Chevy station wagon that was a bit newer with less miles. Approx a month later the guy pulls into his job and the car is fully re-painted black and interior is redone in a nice gray tone.

My father kicks himself over it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I like the Impala but got the shivers when I saw the Oldsmobile.

The Buick, Olds and Chevy's were sister cars, IMO i loved the front end on the Old's more so than the Buick, but the Monte's was the best. I like the looks of the car(not the paint of course), change up the wheels and you got a nice looking ride.

1966 the year I was born. I would love to get a vehicle from the 60's to work on in my spare time. 50's and 60's when vehicles were really vehicles. Easy to work on. And built like a sherman tank

Always wanted a 96 Impala SS or 67 Camaro RS to tinker with. Maybe after the wedding and I'm a bit older I can find one that I can restore little by little. Love to be able to pass that down to my children.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Always wanted a 96 Impala SS or 67 Camaro RS to tinker with. Maybe after the wedding and I'm a bit older I can find one that I can restore little by little. Love to be able to pass that down to my children.

I was going to buy a Black 96 Impala SS but could not make a deal with the dealer on RT#17 in Paramus New Jersey..I didn't like their attitude either and they didn't want to give me anything for my 8 year old Town Car at the time..

Back in the 60's my parents had a 60 Impala,65 Chevy-2,60 Ford Fairlane 500,65 Mercury Colony Park Wagon,68 Impala and 69 Ford LTD...All these cars ran great and were no problem at all.

The 65 Mercury and the 68 Impala and the 69 LTD had factory a/c which was real nice back then.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

I was going to buy a Black 96 Impala SS but could not make a deal with the dealer on RT#17 in Paramus New Jersey..I didn't like their attitude either and they didn't want to give me anything for my 8 year old Town Car at the time..

Back in the 60's my parents had a 60 Impala,65 Chevy-2,60 Ford Fairlane 500,65 Mercury Colony Park Wagon,68 Impala and 69 Ford LTD...All these cars ran great and were no problem at all.

The 65 Mercury and the 68 Impala and the 69 LTD had factory a/c which was real nice back then.

I know most dealers won't budge on a hot commodity car. I spoke with a guy who basically bought a 96 Impala SS with 24k on the Odomoter and paid out 25k for it 2 or 3 years ago. Most dealer's on 17 and 46 are HORRIBLE up here. On route 23 the bad ones were cleared out by the Chrysler/GM bankruptcy. Demasi on 23 was horrible for GM.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I like the Impala but got the shivers when I saw the Oldsmobile.

The Buick, Olds and Chevy's were sister cars, IMO i loved the front end on the Old's more so than the Buick, but the Monte's was the best. I like the looks of the car(not the paint of course), change up the wheels and you got a nice looking ride.

The best of the bunch was the Buick Grand National the only one with an engine...still got my 1987 GN
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Anies said:
I know most dealers won't budge on a hot commodity car. I spoke with a guy who basically bought a 96 Impala SS with 24k on the Odomoter and paid out 25k for it 2 or 3 years ago. Most dealer's on 17 and 46 are HORRIBLE up here. On route 23 the bad ones were cleared out by the Chrysler/GM bankruptcy. Demasi on 23 was horrible for GM.

The dealer wanted 26K for the 96 Black Impala SS and would not budge...Turns out I kept my 88 Town Car at the time for another 200K miles after the deal went south.

66 Chevies were abundant when I was a teen and in college (the seventies). A friend had one with an original 325 horse 396 and a four speed. I thought the car was too heavy to run well. I was wrong...

Several friends had Cutlasses of the type you show. In comparison to previous years, those were just cars.

What is so remarkable about a 96 Impala that it costs $26k, or 3-4 times as much as a 7 series BMW?

My father's '66 Impala SuperSport was the first car I ever drove. If you count "driving in big squares around an empty parking lot on Sunday morning, basically learning nothing" as "driving," that is. It had the 283 engine, with beige paint, a cream-and-gold vinyl interior, bucket seats, bi-level air conditioning and heating, and AM radio with a single rear speaker. If it had seat belts I don't remember 'em (Dad was not a seat belt type, having grown up in the Twenties and Thirties).

Very smooth car. I hoped he'd sell/give it to me for college, but no dice.

The '83 Olds came from the tail end of the period when the Cutlass was the best-selling car in America, didn't it?

It was a muscle car, a bolt on happy V8, the last of the rear wheel drive sedans of the time as well. SuperSports always run a premium, much like Type R's, SVT's etc.

There is just some type of elegance about them when you see em on the road, they just look great regardless of how much time has passed since their release.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
My father's '66 Impala SuperSport was the first car I ever drove. If you count "driving in big squares around an empty parking lot on Sunday morning, basically learning nothing" as "driving," that is. It had the 283 engine, with beige paint, a cream-and-gold vinyl interior, bucket seats, bi-level air conditioning and heating, and AM radio with a single rear speaker. If it had seat belts I don't remember 'em (Dad was not a seat belt type, having grown up in the Twenties and Thirties).

Very smooth car. I hoped he'd sell/give it to me for college, but no dice.

The '83 Olds came from the tail end of the period when the Cutlass was the best-selling car in America, didn't it?

It was at the tailend of GM being successful. I think it was the best selling auto platform(Cutlass, Buick GN, and Monte). After 86/87 it went down hill for GM with quality and design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back