64GB RAM, 24CPU cores (Task Manager pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Setting up a new server with Windows 2008 R2 for virtualiztion (Hyper-V) this month. I marveled at the Windows Task Manager as this box has 64GB of RAM...and look at all those cores!

ne9k.jpg

"Honey, I need one of these for our home. Yes, need...."
lol.gif

Sure there are much larger installations out there, but it's not everyday I get to manage something like this. The last one I installed was a 12-core, 24GB RAM box a few years ago utilizing VMWare Server 1.0x on Linux.

And what is the purpose of this mega server?

Reason I ask is I knew people who would go overboard like this for something as simple as file storage, SQL Server database etc. One guy did it for a gaming rig only to find out that about 80% of the system isn't being used lol.

This will get used....Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization host, for file & app server consolidation.

I have been a big fan of VMWare's mid-range products for 8+ years now but the MS offering is a step up w/o paying the hefty license fees for VMWare ESX/vSphere/whatever-its-called-this-month. And it's fast, too.

That's a small server compared to some I work on.

There are a few database servers I've supported that had over 1TB of RAM and a similar number of CPUs and that was ten years ago :)

Quote:

And what is the purpose of this mega server?

He said it would be running windows. MS multitasking in an oxymoron.

Nice rig. Hope you have DR down pat. The thing I don't like about virtualization is a DR event.

I only have (1) 64Gb machine; only 1 processor, but 8 cores and 64 virtual processors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour

There are a few database servers I've supported that had over 1TB of RAM and a similar number of CPUs and that was ten years ago :)

I figure you & overkill would have played with these sorts of things before Y2K! :)

We built one not long ago that was a little bigger than this, also for a VM system. The installer was hooking it up and he and I were talking about it's potential power. He said, "You know, I bet it'll play a mean game of Checkers."

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Originally Posted By: javacontour

I figure you & overkill would have played with these sorts of things before Y2K! :)

Had the number of CPUs before Y2K, if you count 400MHz and perhaps 484MHz CPUs. But not the memory density until after Y2K.

The UltraEnterprise 6000/6500 theoretically could go to 30 CPUs, and 60gb of RAM. But it wouldn't be a very useful system as that left only one system slot left for I/O after the other 15 were used for CPU boards. Three SBus slots and whatever was found on the I/O board didn't provide many I/O channels and certainly no redundancy.

So 16CPUs and 32gb of RAM might be common, with the other 8 slots in back available for I/O boards.

When the SunFire 15000 came out, that would take 18 CPU/Memory boards with at the time, 32gb of RAM on each board, and later 64gb of RAM/board when the 2gb DIMMs were supported. So that meant a maximum configuration of 72 single core CPUs and a whole lot of memory :). Dual core CPUs followed, giving lots of cores in a box the size of a commercial fridge.

Compare that now to the Sun T5220/T5440 series with Core Multi Threading. The "cool threads" boxes are 2U and 4U servers with what appears to be 128CPUs (Maybe more, it's been a while since I've looked at the processor offerings) in a very small package. Not every CPU has a floating point unit. But for jobs that have lots of threads that don't need FP, they are an excellent choice.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Setting up a new server with Windows 2008 R2 for virtualiztion (Hyper-V) this month. I marveled at the Windows Task Manager as this box has 64GB of RAM...and look at all those cores!

ne9k.jpg

"Honey, I need one of these for our home. Yes, need...."
lol.gif

Sure there are much larger installations out there, but it's not everyday I get to manage something like this. The last one I installed was a 12-core, 24GB RAM box a few years ago utilizing VMWare Server 1.0x on Linux.

I remember those days of small toy. I been in the biz for 26 years and my 2 babies SYSPLEXED together running 10 LPARS ( the Z10 IBM Mainframes) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_System_z10

john on this thing could probably do most NTLM passwords over lunch. Also, if I had one of these I might actually be able to get gentoo installed. :D

I just picked up some HP Z800's for use as workstations. They came with dual Xeon 5670's (12 cores @ 2.93ghz...24 virtual cores with hyperthreading), 24GB RAM, and ATI 5770 graphics for the dual 30" monitors. Mine is currently running Win7, Ubuntu 10.05, Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.5, and Windows XP concurrently. :)

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back