64-speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik

Apparently someone is working on a 64-speed tranny, the logic being that if a 6 speed is so much more superior to a 5 speed (in ALL applications, as some here have clearly shown), a 64 would be pure Heaven......

anyone confirm this?

smile.gif

pass that one on the local 6-speed guru... infinite number of speeds.... how can you beat that? they work exceedingly well in snowmobiles, might be the hot ticket for narrow powerband large displacement V-twins......

I wouldnt doubt that there's some merit to a dual range diff or something like that, in some applications...

My father had a late 70s car that had dual range gearing.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I wouldnt doubt that there's some merit to a dual range diff or something like that, in some applications...

My father had a late 70s car that had dual range gearing.

FWIW, Honda had a dual range tranny on a late 70`s/early 80s CB900 custom..... (effectively making it a 10-speed)
DSC00189_800x600.jpg

Had a friend with one. he basically rode around in low range all the time and his final freeway up shift was to the overdrive box.

It was like driving a car with a Hone overdrive.

Even in low range I used to chew him up with my gs1100 like a puppy and the morning paper.

UD

May see it reappear in the forthcoming Milwaukee 9 (in 20 years, if their R&D track record is any indication), in which case it will be greeted like the Second Coming.... some are surely salivating at the thought of 4 more speeds..... can you imagine - 4 MORE SPEEDS?!?!?! lol

Apparently back in the 1940's transmissions had compatible input and output splines and you could put a 3 spd behind another 3 spd and get a 9 speed. So we could do it that way, 8x8.
laugh.gif

Or maybe it was just "farm engineering" but I've heard of it being done.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Apparently back in the 1940's transmissions had compatible input and output splines and you could put a 3 spd behind another 3 spd and get a 9 speed. So we could do it that way, 8x8.
laugh.gif

the stuff of fantasy (for some); must be some heavy duty salivating going on over in alarm-land... lol

but what about the speedos - how accurate would they be with such a set-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back