63 Vette

mjk

Oh, how the times have changed over the decades...

I have an uncle who had a 63 with the chrome side pipes, back when I was a kid. Took a couple of rides in it, when I was young (late 70's), and it scared the crap out of me.. LOL.

He bought it, after returning from Vietnam, then became a long haul truck driver for the rest of his career (just retired this past Dec at 72). About 1986 or so, he had to sell it, as he was having another child. $8,000.00. I am about ready to cry, as I see this locally:

63 Vette

I know he loved that car, but family and his career forced the decision on him. I wish he could get it back, now that he is retired.

A true unicorn in the Corvette line. The rear split window added a nice style to the car, but also created a terrible blind spot. I had a 1996 LT4 that I had to sell when the first baby came along (no rear seat and the fron airbag could not be disabled) so to the chopping block it went. Metallic polo green with tan interior and ZF 6 speed; it made 330HP feel like a whole lot more. I managed 32MPG on a trip from Houston to Nashville once. I may have to find another to play with, they are pretty cheap these days.

Yes, the C4 vettes are pretty cheap these days. I actually have a 5 year plan, hoping to get into a low mileage C6.

My uncle had the same car, but his also had factory Rochester fuel injection, which made it a true unicorn, as only 2,610 were built that year.

He wrecked it in '66. Slid sideways into a tree that I later drove by hundreds of times when I was a kid. The only thing connecting the front and rear of the car was the emergency brake cable. He's still alive...

He kept the fuel injection system from the car and sold it about 10 years ago for a crazy amount of $$.

The '63s are gorgeous. 1st year for the series; used a lot of '62 parts.
Independent rear suspension that lasted until 1982.
Drum brakes...

I almost bought one in the early 90's I think. Darn!

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I always wanted one. I was born in 63. Love the split window.

Me too!

I had a matching numbers 63 Split 300 horse 327 4 speed that I bought in boxes put it together but it was never really restored, just a driver. Sold it, along with my 68 matching numbers 390 horse 427 4 speed to buy a house. Biggest mistake of my life. Surprisingly, while everyone wants a split window, they never commanded anywhere near the value of the 65-67 big blocks, or some other year Vettes. For a while though, I had a very bad [censored] garage! Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, copy of a copy from back in the day.
[Linked Image]

Feel your pain; my father had a 356 convertible in the early 60s that he got rid of when the kids came along... What a raw deal he got lol.

A man of practicality, he never seemed to be attached to any vehicle he ever owned.

Last edited:
I Was born in 1953 and one of my friends Dads had a 63 Vette he was the neighborhood cool guy cause of the Vette. My best friends dads [ they were my other parents I own them much] was part owner of an auto auction so from 1969 to 1971 [before we went to the big boy school] he would being home a Corvette for us to drive during the summer. He told us if you wreck the car I will never bring home another for you to drive. We had some close calls but no wrecks. Vettes are fun.

My father had a '66 convertible when he was 21 y/o, then had '68 convertible years later.

When I was growing up I helped him restore the '68 while I was in High School. it was red with a white top and black interior, had a 350 bored 30 over, big cam, 400TH trans. needless to say it ran well.

I asked him a few years back after he sold it why we worked on that to restore it and then to sell it years later....he laughed and said it was to keep him out of the bars. Guess it worked in that regard.

Had two corvettes, a 65 ( actually girlfriends at the time, who I married) and a 72. Like to have both back. Marriage and kids change a lot of stuff down the line.

Ahhh the 1963 Corvette......designed by Zora Arkus Duntov......great GM engineer. The Corvette was made for many years here in St. Louis. Last year for St. Louis production was 1981 before the move to Bowling Green, KY.

For those of you who really like Corvettes, I recommend you get this book. Written by a former UAW member who worked on the line in St. Louis. It gives some real insight into how most all Corvettes were born so to speak. 10 cars per hour was about the maximum capacity vs 60 plus cars per hour on the St. Louis passenger car line.

/www.amazon.com/Factory-Dreams-Louis-Corvette-Plant/dp/B07KFNZH1V
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My dad bought a '67 big block in 2000. He died in 2007, but my mom still has his Vette. She's been meaning to sell it for years now but she never gets around to it for some reason. It's an all original car numbers matching car in almost-mint condition. 390 HP big block, 4 speed manual, convertible, green with white top and white stinger on the hood.

Originally Posted by exranger06
My dad bought a '67 big block in 2000. He died in 2007, but my mom still has his Vette. She's been meaning to sell it for years now but she never gets around to it for some reason. It's an all original car numbers matching car in almost-mint condition. 390 HP big block, 4 speed manual, convertible, green with white top and white stinger on the hood.

The '67 is an interesting car; it was actually an afterthought. The new Mako Shark inspired '68 was not ready, so they released the last of the Mid-Years.
Buyers were expecting the new car; the '67 sold in low numbers.
It was the 1st year of the ralley wheel, 15x6 (1 year only). Much of the chrome lettering was left off resulting in a clean, gorgeous look.
The engine options in '67 and '68 were the same.

You have a wonderful piece of Americana. I would never sell it.

Because of the blind spot the "rib" created, GM eliminated that in 1964 with the full 1 pc rear glass - a lot of 63's lost the split when owner's "upgraded" to the 64+ look. Therefore, original 63 coupes are that much more valuable. I own 3 Corvettes now, '67 Convertible, 94 LT1 and 06 LS2. Also had an 03 C5 but sold when I needed money for the house. All with their own quirks, good and bad.

Back