63 Corvette parked in garage since 1972.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really looks like a manual until you look at the shift pattern. Even the designers back then knew how lame an auto trans was in a car like that.

I'll bet the owner found out that it will require a six figure restoration and just wants to unload it. That thing definitely sat outside for a long time. I can't believe he is trying to claim it has been stored inside for the past 45 years with paint and interior that has obvious UV damage. The paint on the top of the car is completely gone.

The dealership painted a new silver car green before delivery? It must've had body damage. You know there's more to that story.

In fact, being that it's a car...I'll assume the entire story is bovine bowel putty.

"NUMBERS MATCHING, Beautiful Patina" says the ad.

Everybody wants that tasteful fiberglass patina these days.

I'm not into old crusty barn finds, so this looks like a rusty heap of junk to me. It will cost 100 grand in just labor hours to restore this to even remotely decent condition and even then, it's an old Vett with almost 100k miles on it. What's the big deal?

I can understand if it was one of those 3 miles on the clock type of barn finds but this looks like a broken down piece of [censored] to me.

On the bright side... the owner should send a sample of that oil for testing. Then fire it up and run it 10,000 miles because let's face it, what's 40 years in storage for oil that 1.5 billion years old. Right? Lol.

I don’t understand who - even in 1972 - parks a 9 year old Corvette in a garage and piles stuff on top of it.

It is a 1963 Split Window, even with a small block and a power glide I bet it goes for over 100,000 and cost another 100-150 to restore before we see it at Bloomington Gold. Guy probably knocked 10K off of it replacing the Alt and master cylinder. The fact it was minimally messed with is what will bring the money.

The add claims the original owner only drove it sparingly for 9 years yet it shows nearly 97k miles and the interior is roached.

It's already up to nearly $65K with more than two weeks left, so I'm sure it'll hit $100K+.
This car no doubt has the base engine and the two speed auto is not a plus.
OTOH, the split window offered only early in the run of what is now called the mid year Corvette is a big plus as well as this car's being the first MY of this generation, which brought certain nice features like IRS.
Still, one has to wonder why this apparently daily driver car got parked after only nine years of use.
A major engine or transmission failure won't matter, since whomever buys this car will have both gone through.
In 1972, this would have been considered no more than a dated looking old car with age appropriate miles that lacked a proper transmission. I doubt that the original owner could have gotten more than three grand for it.
How times change!

The winning bid for this no reserve sale was a bit under $67K.
Yeah, this car does need a lot and who wants Powerglide?
Still, this is a running, driving mostly unmolested example.
I figured this car would bring a lot more than it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back