6000 km on Redline - winter storage question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to change my break in oil to Redline 10w30. By the time winter hits(sorry to bring up winter now
canada.gif
) I will have about 6,000km on the oil. The car is a 2004 Honda S2000. It will be driven hard, with many trips to 8200rpm but none of it at the track this year, street driving and basic commuting only. Should I store the car with this oil in the engine or dump it before the winter, put in some fresh Redline and then use that oil next spring/summer?

Here is what I do for my long term indoor winter storage (6-7 months) for my cars in western new york.

Right before I put them in storage, I change the oil over to a 10w40 rotella T or mobil delvac motor oil, with a cheapie decent filter (usually supertech), and I drive the car one last time for about an hour, then park it and let it sit inside under the cover for 6-7 months.

The diesel oil has a strong additive pack and its great for longterm storage.

When spring comes the first thing I do is start the car, and dump the good diesel oil into a clean container and put it in my tractors and lawn equipment, and I go back to my synthetic oil and OEM filters.

Also, I remove the battery and leave it inside the house in the basement where it is warmer than the cold garage.

Another thing I do is get 4 mini spares, and let the car sit on them during storage, because you will flatspot your expensive pirelli's and that will tick you off in the springtime...

I got mine at a salvage yard for 20 bucks a piece with tires on them. I drive a ford so it's probably going to be tougher and more expensive to find mini spares for a s2000 unless the bolt pattern interchanges with another honda model.

JH

Yeah it won't be so easy..
But do you think I could get away with leaving the 4 month old Redline in the engine for the winter or should I maybe throw in some 15w40 HDEO and then change it again in the spring back to Redline?

I would think you could leave the old stuff in. I thought Redline was potentialy good for 15,000 mile OCIs, barring other problems. You're only going 3000 miles so there should be a LOT of life left in that oil. Anyway, I would call Redline, get a tech person and ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back