600 HP 2.0L engine with electric valve operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KGMtech
Great stuff for all us gear heads that still want ICE and exhaust burble!

It's a 3 cylinder. I don't know how much exhaust burble you're gonna get.

Ingenious design, however the longevity and reliability is questionable. Specifically on those valve actuators. That's a tremendous amount of on/off action. If it gets stuck on, easily would bend or break valves. Wouldn't be fun diagnostic wise either.

Originally Posted by mattd
If it gets stuck on, easily would bend or break valves.

Not if it was a non-interference design. And as long as those actuators were reasonably priced and accessible like coil packs, they could be a maintenance item.

With that kind of power I would expect valve lift to be plenty far enough for piston to valve contact

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

It'll probably sound like an angry bee.

Impressive. I'd love to have such an engine in a nice, light, S2000/Miata type sports car. For those who don't know, performance 3 cylinder engines sound absolutely wonderful. The lower RPM flavors (automotive, not motorcycle) sound very Porsche like, not at all like the buzz of an inline 4.

Pneumatic actuation has been used on high rpm race engines for many years now and is a tested technology. This is an interesting engine in that it can be run for efficiency or performance in different modes, a wave of the future in ICE.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Pneumatic actuation has been used on high rpm race engines for many years now and is a tested technology. This is an interesting engine in that it can be run for efficiency or performance in different modes, a wave of the future in ICE.

Race engines does not equal 150k mile design consumer engines.

Originally Posted by vw7674
more interested in the 268 hp Yaris.

Me too! That sounds like an absolute blast to drive!

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Race engines does not equal 150k mile design consumer engines.

Gotta start somewhere.

Not to argue, but my understanding is that top level race engines have used pneumatic valve springs which are better able to cope with valve bounce at high rpm as compared to wire valve springs, however those valves were acted upon by camshafts.

F1 engines and MotoGp engines, as well as any others that rev over 16k ish have pneumaitc springs uht camshaft actuation, although I accept there may be others that do not follow this rule.

this video was the first one to pop up on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ4hhJctYz4

Originally Posted by Olas

Not to argue, but my understanding is that top level race engines have used pneumatic valve springs which are better able to cope with valve bounce at high rpm as compared to wire valve springs, however those valves were acted upon by camshafts.

F1 engines and MotoGp engines, as well as any others that rev over 16k ish have pneumaitc springs uht camshaft actuation, although I accept there may be others that do not follow this rule.

You may be right, electro pneumatic operation may be new compared to what has been used for high rpm motors recently.

Originally Posted by Olas

You may be right, electro pneumatic operation may be new compared to what has been used for high rpm motors recently.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

It'll probably sound like an angry bee.

3 cylinder, 6 cylinder and 12 cylinder engines all sound very much alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back