60% ase mechanics say change every 3k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

lazaro - I still have issue with claims such as yours that there is any 'waste oil' in this process. I'm going to assume that this oil was recycled properly, so a good chunk of it, after processing, actually became new oil products, be it fuel, paving compound, or re-refined motor oil. This means that that much virgin crude wasn't pumped and used for this purpose - this oil got used twice.

How the heck is that 'wasting' oil? Would someone please explain this?

why does my owners manual for my 1967 Failane XL 500
with a 427 45Hp have a factory recommended OCI at 6000 miles in 1967? why is Jiffy lube today pushing 3 month 3000 mile oil changes that started in the 1980s?
quality of oil went south? or is it pure profit? forget quality we want quantity. conventional oil makes me
puke.gif

Some people should have their car looked at every 3k miles. Otherwise no one looks at it. There are some people that left to annual changes would only have anything else checked once a year. I do thing tire pressures and other items should be checked more than once a year. And don't be too quick to slam old timers. You'll be one too someday. I had a young kid with a new Mustang GT tell me that he was running Amsoil and would change the oil once a year just like the dealer said. He does track days once or twice a month and everywhere he goes he really hammers it. He's got 20k on the clock and is on his third set of rear tires and has had a brake job. We checked his oil and he was at least 2 quarts low. He though it was cool when I showed him how to check his oil. I told him to go back to his dealer and get some more oil and drive easy until he gets it topped off. He was surprised because it hasn't been a year, yet. I know he's smarter than me because I'm old, but this old [censored] thinks he is going to put all those connecting rods in the oil pan some day soon. Then he can give a testimonial for Amsoil.

Quote:

Some people should have their car looked at every 3k miles. Otherwise no one looks at it. There are some people that left to annual changes would only have anything else checked once a year. I do thing tire pressures and other items should be checked more than once a year. And don't be too quick to slam old timers. You'll be one too someday. I had a young kid with a new Mustang GT tell me that he was running Amsoil and would change the oil once a year just like the dealer said. He does track days once or twice a month and everywhere he goes he really hammers it. He's got 20k on the clock and is on his third set of rear tires and has had a brake job. We checked his oil and he was at least 2 quarts low. He though it was cool when I showed him how to check his oil. I told him to go back to his dealer and get some more oil and drive easy until he gets it topped off. He was surprised because it hasn't been a year, yet. I know he's smarter than me because I'm old, but this old [censored] thinks he is going to put all those connecting rods in the oil pan some day soon. Then he can give a testimonial for Amsoil.

nice of you to give him a heads up on his oil level.
well if I read you right 3 sets of tires and a brake job and 20,000 miles? is all on one oil change? if so I say he is doing pretty good. remember when you were young, and lucky enough to get a new car to hammer on daily?
as long as he keeps his oil filled he wont be needing you to take his engine apart
laugh.gif

Thanks to this website, I have changed my ways on the 3k/3mos oil change. I have switched to a 5k to 5.5k on my 00 Nissan Frontier with the 2.4 4 cyl engine and I change the oil on my 00 Honda Odyssey twice a year (I put about 5k a year on that vehicle.) I also use Motorcraft/Trop Artic 5w-30 in both vehicles as well. I save money, and most importanly, don't waste motor oil.
cheers.gif

Quote:

I have a Seiko watch that came directly from toyota because of what I told them about why they are experiencing the sludged problem on alot of their cars.

also why did toyota changed their oil changes to 7500 mile oil drains if he is a master mechanic for toyota? bet he himself doesn't really know why he's seen so many engines sludged up. like stated above, being an ASE mechanic doesn't mean squat when it comes to oil as they don't teach them about oil.

For those of us who may have missed this thread can you briefly restate what you told Toyota? Also, is the same true of the 2.7L in the Intrepid?

Throckmorton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back