6 months 10,000km OCI with ASL?

Messages
92
Location
Toronto
Hi fellow BITOG members and visitors. I'm ready to order my ASL. I sit and think, what OCI should I use for my car. The car is a 1999 Nissan Maxima automatic with the VQ 3.0L V-6. It has 98,567 km at the moment and will soon hit 100,000 kms. It has no leaks and consumes about 250ml every 3 months/6,000kms. I'll probably do the first UOA when the old oil comes out, and see where the condition of the engine is at the present time. After this oil change, I won't be in T.O. to do the next few oil changes as I will be heading back to the Hong Kong for work. Therefore, extending the OCI and using ASL should minimize the hassle for my parents. Can I go this route without UOA? I believe ASL is one of the better 5W30 syns out there and readily available. Comments and suggestions are welcomed. Please direct me the right way. Thanks everyone for your valuable time. hkkc
 

hkkc

Thread starter
Messages
92
Location
Toronto
quote:
Originally posted by medic: IMHO, I don't consider 10,000 km and extended drain with Amsoil ASL.
Probably not the typical extended drain intervals as some members on here have tried. Coming from the 3months/5-6,000kms group, this is an extended drain interval for me. I thought about going 1 year/20,000km drain interval but getting a mechanic to change JUST the filter would not fair well with him. If I was changing the oil I would try the one year change interval but I am not permanently residing in Toronto.
 

hkkc

Thread starter
Messages
92
Location
Toronto
quote:
Originally posted by buster: Good choice. Most will tell you to sample early before going right into an extended drain. You picked an excellent oil.
buster, if sampled oil results were decent but not outstanding, would the ASL work not as well and actually hurt the engine with more wear?
 
Messages
5,785
Location
Dixie
I'd recommend a 20,000 km/6 month change interval, which also happens to be the service life of the Amsoil SDF oil filters .... Many of my customers get their Amsoil installed at quick lubes,and they get charged $5.00 for the filter change and topoff after six months .... Tooslick Dixie Synthetics
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
22,001
Location
Guelph, Ontario
With the exception of a sludge prone engine, I think that a 10,000km/6 month interval is a walk in the park for a good synthetic like Amsoil. I'm going to be doing 10,000km intervals with GC 0w30 in my Firebird, and I'm sure the UOA will show it to be able to go further, but 10,000km is a nice round number and I know for sure my engine will live a long and clean life with this interval. And even though some might chastise me for not going further, even though I do UOAs all the time, I still remind them that this interval is at least double what most of my fellow f-body friends do with their cars.
 
Messages
34,201
Location
South Jersey
quote:
buster, if sampled oil results were decent but not outstanding
No. Some engines like particular brands. In LS1's, Amsoil does a better job. In toyota's either will work the same. It's a matter of matching the right oil with the right engine. It's a viscosity issue to some degree and an issue of additives. M1 and Amsoil are pretty close right now. Advantage goes to Amsoil though.
 

hkkc

Thread starter
Messages
92
Location
Toronto
quote:
Originally posted by TooSlick: I'd recommend a 20,000 km/6 month change interval, which also happens to be the service life of the Amsoil SDF oil filters .... Many of my customers get their Amsoil installed at quick lubes,and they get charged $5.00 for the filter change and topoff after six months .... Tooslick Dixie Synthetics
The SDF filters would be good but quite expensive. Can I just run a normal Nissan OEM filter, Bosch, Purolator and get 10,000km out of them with proper filtering ability?
 
Messages
3,705
Location
Chattanooga, TN
Based upon my experience with Amsoil over the last ten years you can easily go that route and DON'T bother with a filter change at 6 months or whatever. Just go the distance however long it takes. I routinely go 6-9 months now on the same fitler, on one I go a full year. The filter change will have no effect on wear metals or contamination IMO. I have used Amsoil in two Maximas with 10,000 mile OCI same filter etc. This is one of the best V6 engines ever produced and my 95 is still going strong at 125,000. New owner but no issues with it. You only have 60,000 miles so a ton of life left in it.
 

hkkc

Thread starter
Messages
92
Location
Toronto
quote:
Originally posted by buster:
quote:
buster, if sampled oil results were decent but not outstanding
No. Some engines like particular brands. In LS1's, Amsoil does a better job. In toyota's either will work the same. It's a matter of matching the right oil with the right engine. It's a viscosity issue to some degree and an issue of additives. M1 and Amsoil are pretty close right now. Advantage goes to Amsoil though.

Is the ASL a right match for the Nissan Maxima?
 

hkkc

Thread starter
Messages
92
Location
Toronto
quote:
Originally posted by Spector: Based upon my experience with Amsoil over the last ten years you can easily go that route and DON'T bother with a filter change at 6 months or whatever. Just go the distance however long it takes. I routinely go 6-9 months now on the same fitler, on one I go a full year. The filter change will have no effect on wear metals or contamination IMO. I have used Amsoil in two Maximas with 10,000 mile OCI same filter etc. This is one of the best V6 engines ever produced and my 95 is still going strong at 125,000. New owner but no issues with it. You only have 60,000 miles so a ton of life left in it.
What oil filter did you use though?
 
Messages
413
Location
Marietta, GA
"Is the ASL a right match for the Nissan Maxima?" Yes. I use the ASL 5w-30 in Hotlanta. It will give you the cold flow for the Great White North and is a heavier 30 weight than Mobil 1. "What oil filter did you use though?" The Maxima uses the SDF 13 which is tiny. You can use the oversized SDF 20 for the Maxima. The SDF 20 is $2 US cheaper than the SDF 13. The Bosch 3323 is a good filter for $6.00 US. I use the Bosch 3323 and change it every 4-4.5 months with a 8-9 OCI. The maxima dot org fluid and lube section has some good info about filter choices.
 
Messages
3,705
Location
Chattanooga, TN
I used the Amsoil SDF 20, the larger of the two. Tighter fit but fine. Personally, I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference what filter you use, they don't do much of anything IMO. Cut a few open and see what you think. You don't need to use the Amsoil filters with their oil. Any quality filter will be fine.
 

hkkc

Thread starter
Messages
92
Location
Toronto
quote:
Originally posted by Spector: I used the Amsoil SDF 20, the larger of the two. Tighter fit but fine. Personally, I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference what filter you use, they don't do much of anything IMO. Cut a few open and see what you think. You don't need to use the Amsoil filters with their oil. Any quality filter will be fine.
Spector, how much oil do I need to use if I go with the SDF 20 over the original size oil filter? Thanks in advance.
 
Messages
3,705
Location
Chattanooga, TN
quote:
Originally posted by hkkc: [QUOTE]Originally posted by Spector: [qb] Spector, how much oil do I need to use if I go with the SDF 20 over the original size oil filter? Thanks in advance.
Tough question. I would start by using the same amount of oil and see what the dipstick shows. It is not a large amount of differece, 2-4 ounces maybe.
 
Messages
56
Location
Massachusetts
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: With the exception of a sludge prone engine, I think that a 10,000km/6 month interval is a walk in the park for a good synthetic like Amsoil.
So with a sludge prone engine, what do you feel is a conservative time and mileage to run the oil? I am running Amsoil in a Toyota V-6 and have read others with this engine running 5k-10k miles. 5K seems a little on the low end for something advertised for 25K? 10K seems kinda low as well, but seems like a conservative figure? [ December 29, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: m2pc ]
 
Messages
3,346
Location
Clarksville, Tennessee
You didn't mention if you were going to do an engine flush or not. With that many KM's I would most definately do an engine flush. Also if this is your first run with Amsoil or any synthetic for that matter I would reduce my oil change interval slightly. So your choice of 6 months or 10,000 KMs is spot on. After the first change at the 6 month mark you should have no problem extending out to the 1 year mark and 24000 kms or so.
 
Messages
56
Location
Massachusetts
This is my first run with Synthetic, I am going to use auto-rx come this summer to make sure everything is clean, but I suspect things are pretty clean already. Added Amsoil 5w-30 at 45k and so far after driving 2.5k of mixed city and highway, oil still looks very clean. So the first run with this oil will not see more than 7.5k and after the flush treatments, am probably thinking about 12.5k to 15k annually with one filter change and oil top off in between. Pretty happy with the oil so far and I timed it so that I don't have to get under the car in 20-30 degree weather for my next OCI [Big Grin]
 
Messages
3,705
Location
Chattanooga, TN
Toyota V6 (1992,) same basic design as version through 2002, and I run the 10W30 for 7500 miles. Granted, not the sludge machines of 99-02 but same basic design until the new ones of 2004 After 7500 the oil is pretty beat up. I went 15,000 once and the UOA was just terrible but 7500 seems pretty good, probably go 10,000 but I settle on the 7500. I use the SDF 57 on this but I agree the OEM filters are pretty good.
 
Top