6 month storage for 2010 RX 350

Evening,

I am going to park this vehicle for 6 months, starting next week. I've talked w/ my mechanic on a few things to prep it.

conditions: it is going to have to sit outside in the driveway in MN. I'm filling the tank, stabilizing the gas and disconnecting the neg terminal on battery.

He had indicated to run to Menards and get some Mouse repellent packs.... was unsure of brand. Any recommendations? He thought it was a better idea than Bounce sheets for the winter. I'm torn on a cover; I'm thinking that a universal cover will cause more issues than good.... ??

What should I expect for brake issues, if any, come March? Other than some surface rust on rotors?
Any other general ideas, are appreciated. First time, I've done this.

TY

Evening,

I am going to park this vehicle for 6 months, starting next week. I've talked w/ my mechanic on a few things to prep it.

conditions: it is going to have to sit outside in the driveway in MN. I'm filling the tank, stabilizing the gas and disconnecting the neg terminal on battery.

He had indicated to run to Menards and get some Mouse repellent packs.... was unsure of brand. Any recommendations? He thought it was a better idea than Bounce sheets for the winter. I'm torn on a cover; I'm thinking that a universal cover will cause more issues than good.... ??

What should I expect for brake issues, if any, come March? Other than some surface rust on rotors?
Any other general ideas, are appreciated. First time, I've done this.

TY
Make sure you turn of the navigation system properly (full shut down) before unplugging that terminal. Those units were fussy.

If you want the proper protocol on how Toyota stores their new vehicles on the lot, theres a TSB circulating.

Your battery could discharge and freeze. Rather than disconnecting a terminal, I would put it on a CTEK battery maintainer. And all your vehicle electronics would be kept alive.

MN in winter what birds are pooping on it?
Well, to start there are Minnesota's wintering bald eagles.
The eagles begin to congregate in early November, and can often be seen in the morning and evening soaring and diving for fish.

In addition, Junco's are readily observed, and Northern Cardinals are pretty abundant. Goldfinch, nuthatch, house sparrows, and various hawks can be spotted in Minnesota during the winter months, and robins are being spotted with increasing frequency.

The barred, great-horned, and Eastern screech owls are around all winter, but not seen too often as they hunt their prey at night.

Several species of woodpeckers can often be spotted.

The St. Paul Audubon Society is a good source of information about birds that winter in Minnesota.

Fresh or recent coolant
Full tank of premium fuel with dose of Stabil or Marine 360
Fresh oil/filter.
Fresh brake fluid.

Rodent control.... from all directions. So, a sock or two filled with real moth balls. Air freshener and/or bounce sheets in the vehicle.
Another sock of moth balls under hood where air flows into HVAC.

Sticky mouse traps inside of vehicle on each floor mat.

sticky mouse traps are awesome... well not for the mouse but they work quite well.
Caught 10 mice by the tractor so far.
it was war after this.
image_2022-10-11_204459231.jpg

I've stored vehicles for years here in Maine. I always put stabilizer in tank then head right to gas station and fill the tank.

I remove the battery and bring it inside so I can put a maintainer on it. I have a battery tender (deltran) brand.

Never had time keep something outside though. Always in an unheated building.

I'd consider a car cover, but inside a barn or similar building is ideal.

No cover, but try to keep the interior UV-protected physically. If it was me:
Full tank of gas, with Stabil Marine
Tires at full PSI
High TBN oil change, if possible fog the cylinders or take the plugs out, spray some fogging oil and bump the starter with the plugs out(tricky to do with push-start)
Keep the battery charged, if possible with a trickle charger.

Back