6,000 miles a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am only going to be putting 5,000 to 6,000 miles a year on my truck due to company car usage. The recommended oil is a 5w-30. It will consist of mostly short mile trips with the ocassional long trip.

Which oil should I use Dyno or Synthetic? Which weight? Which brand?

I want the best protection and the best fuel economy.

I will be changing the oil every 6 months due to the low milage.

BTW: Truck is a 04' V6 Nissan.

If it was me, I'd just keep your eyes open for a sale at Pep Boys on a good dino (Mobil, Pennzoil, etc) and save your $$. How hot/cold does it get in Arkansas? You'd probably be fine with a 5W-30. Heck, with what will be likely a 3K OCI, you probably should just get a jug of Super Tech for under $5 and live happy.

biggthumbcoffe.gif

I would use Pennzoil or Havoline dino every 6 months. If you use a full syn you should be good for a year but I don't think even I would try that. Look at it this way, even though the syn is good after 3000 miles it's only two changes a year for you and therefore not a lot of money overall. My church's Club Wagon gets very little miles, less than 1000 a year, and I'm down to changing the Havoline dino once a year. We have to replace the tires every few years because of dry rot but the tread looks like new.
rolleyes.gif

I agree with JohnnyO. If you are going to change it at 6 months with 3K OCIs.....Havoline or Pennzoil is the best alternative. Havoline is on sell right now at Advance Auto for $1.32/quart. You could get a one year supply for <$16.

Ditto. I'm in the same boat by putting no more than 3-5K on any car in a given year. I use dino 5W-30 or 10W-30 with 3K OCI.

Good high moly and/or boron dino oil like Pennzoil or Havoline is good. Don't be leery about once-a-year oil changes with synthetics thou! Perfect example is my 20 year-old push lawn mower that's only seen a Mobil-1 15W-50 oil change every three years with absolutely no work done on the engine & still in full-time use.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Quote:
My church's Club Wagon gets very little miles, less than 1000 a year, and I'm down to changing the Havoline dino once a year. We have to replace the tires every few years because of dry rot but the tread looks like new.

Off topic.... why not lease or rent that wagon to church members? Good tax deduction..... oops.... churches get tax exemptions... don't they?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

I agree with 777

Don't be afraid to run long intervals if you can get sytnthetics cheap.. Keep an eye out for sales and clearances. I only average 6-7k a year on my Truck andwas using regular old valvolineat 6 month intervals for most the trucks life. Since finding this place I have started using lube control and progressed into being an oil shopaholic. I an running Mobil 1 that I got for cheap, at 6 months I will simply change the filter and top off and drain the sump once a year. Cost effective? I paid 2 bucks a quart for the Mobil 1. The fill before I paid 1.52 for Motorcraft and a 6 month run. I have confidence in this regimen. or the 6 month dino drain.

You should be able to find regular dino oil (5W30) on sale for around $1/qt or less. I've gotten cases of Havoline, Quaker State and Mobil DC at Checkers Auto Parts. They usually put one of their brands on sale every month. I think this week it's Chevron for $0.49/qt (w/ mail-in rebate)... I'll be heading there Friday to pick up a case.

I've been doing semiannual changes in my pickup with Pennzoil as I, too, put about 5K miles on a year. However, last oil change I put in GC as the PU carrys a heavy camper in the summer. I'm planning annual oil changes with the GC.

Pennz, Havoline, or other dinos should serve you well.

I'd go with Shell's Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40. It should give you better MPG than dino 5W-30 & way better protection. With 1 yr changes the per-year cost would be the same as two changes/yr using dino.

Better MPG, better protection, same cost, less hassle, less waste.

cheers.gif

[Edit:
Oops, forgot to add my 6,500 mi, 13+ mos UOA for JohnnyO to look over.
grin.gif
]

I would do two dino oil changes a year. once before the winter around october and one around april works for me. use any name brand dino you can find at right price and your good to go! Don't forget to check oil and keep the oil level full.
cheers.gif

Try Schaeffers 5w-30 supreme 7000 semi,,,and Baldwin filter,,twice a year,,,will work fine and your engine will last,,before you use it put a dose of auto rx to clean things up a bit,,,BL

That's about the same yearly mileage as my wifes Honda CRV so I just change it once a year at spring time.

I don't think 6K with a good Syn. is overly excessive at all especially with newer autos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back