6.0 vortec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the 5.3 Vortec are outstanding engines, I would assume the same for 6.0. However, each engine has it's weak points and I am not versed on the 6.0's. Hopefully GM didn't go the cheap routes on any parts. For example, the LIM gaskets on the 3.4 or the 4T65 tranny's in the Grand Prix GXP. They make a decision and the consumers live with the downfall. Hopefully someone here has more insight.

Throt

They're great engines as far as I know. Much better than the 350. I maintain a small fleet of ambulances equipped with the 6.0. I drove one without the doghouse installed the other day, from the driver's seat they look like a turboprop since all the ancillaries are arranged in a circular manner so that they'll fit in the Express and Savana.

Hey OP, I think I read an earlier post of yours where you were looking for a 350 powered GMT400.

If you find a 4.8/5.3/6.0 powered GMT800 in good condition, go for it, they are light years more modern.

Test drive a few, then if you go test drive one with a 350 it will feel like a nostalgic penalty box with everything off feeling about it and wrong with it.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
oil pump failures are about it. the 6.0 is otherwise a tank.

Replaced the oil pump on my 6.0 at 110k miles.
Only real issue I've had with mine.

It's a great strong engine that loves to rev and likes fuel.

Yeah Cardenio327, I'm pretty much relying on Craigslist to find a truck, so anything that comes close is considered. This truck has split seating and roll up windows but no dual battery.

Aamof, i travelled 4hrs to a neighboring state to look at a 92 that was described as mint, but wasn't, and it needed a lot of work, and then 4hrs back.

Seeing behind that bench seat in the 92 made me realize I really needed split seating in order to put my sub there AND be able to sit comfortably in the driver's seat.

Bad thing about this 03 is that it looks kind of cramped under hood. The older 350 powered tucks had plenty of space to work on it and probably easy to do internal engine work.

So, how is working on these newer body styled trucks? Is it enjoyable Ora real pain?

I had a 6.0L in a 2006 DenaliXL....horrible piston slap, 13mpg and is the last GM anything I will ever own.

Total garbage.

If you are going to buy it...make sure you start it totally cold.

Last edited:
2111d1220545862_ls1_engine_aircraft_rv10_fwf_lsr.jpg

6011d1267207337_ls1_engine_aircraft_ls1_firewall.jpg

Enough said.
smile.gif
The get used in a plenty of airplanes. That is reliable.

Seriously, the problems folks have mentioned here are very rare, but they do occur. Your biggest concern will be piston slap which does not hurt them.

The 6.0 is based off the original LS1 which debuted in the Corvette in 1997.

The 6.0 was first used in the truck in 1999. The 1999 6.0 is the only LS engine to use iron heads. After that they all used aluminum heads.

I have an 02 2500HD 6.0 that I use to tow my 35 foot trailer. It does fine. It is thirsty but that is not my main concern.

One thing that has been a TSB and is an easy fix is the knock sensor. They are located under the intake. It is a dry intake, so no oil or coolant touches it.

What happens is moisture get between the intake and lifter valley cover. The knock sensors are in there and moisture if it sits to long will cause them to corrode and you have to replace them.

That is the only thing I have had to do to my 02 6.0.

Having said that. I love mine. Has never let me down.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I had a 6.0L in a 2006 DenaliXL....horrible piston slap, 13mpg and is the last GM anything I will ever own.

Total garbage.

So I have to ask how many miles and besides the fact you don't like the noise, how has it screwed you? MPG, well I can't help you with that. They use gas.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Doog

Total garbage.

So I have to ask how many miles and besides the fact you don't like the noise, how has it screwed you? MPG, well I can't help you with that. They use gas.

After 41,000 miles with that pig and the front differential going bad at 40k and GM telling me to take a hike...I traded it on a Toyota and haven't looked back. The resale value loss of 50% is what screwed me. So if you love them great....who cares? But I would never buy a GM vehicle again.

Total garbage.

So your diff was bad that sucks, but um he asked about the 6.0 in a truck . Totally different drive train. The motor is the same but the 6.0 got different diffs and trans mission unless you got an SS.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
That aircraft engine looks interesting.
Would the front drive fit the new 4.3 V6?
Is the intake air heated?

I don't know about the 4.3 as it is new LT1 based, but the new LT1 is LS based. I would think the intake has to be heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back