6.0 vortec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
So your diff was bad that sucks, but um he asked about the 6.0 in a truck . Totally different drive train. The motor is the same but the 6.0 got different diffs and trans mission unless you got an SS.

Since we own several and have bought them regularly I can tell you that they are among the BEST gasoline engines sold for fleet use. Just got rid of one with a half a million miles on it. Pulled a 9000+ pound van every single day of its life. No smoke, no drips, no knock, no consumption. dead silent mechanically. Still working in another state!

They are not all that good, but they have excellent repair history and the oil pump thing is actually quite rare, we've only had one of those out of dozens purchased. We have used all the big 3 in our biz and the GM's are the champ for long life and inexpensive ownership.

Note that our duty cycle also voids warranty from Ford or Chrysler but GM will still give standard coverage to us. Think about that, it's a bit revealing...

Had the 6.0L in my GTO.

Fantastic engine, great UOA & plenty of power. I think it was the best engine I have ever owned.

189k,03 C2500. Got a call from my nephew asking me to look at it. It just stopped running he told me. I looked at it and the block had a fist sized hole where the rod went out the side. Typical kid, didn't hear a thing and had not checked the oil since who knows when.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
So, how is working on these newer body styled trucks? Is it enjoyable Ora real pain?

The Silverados and Sierras are actually quite easy to work on since they aren't designed to accommodate a 10 cylinder engine like the Fords are. I like Fords as well as anyone but the fact that the firewall is designed for 10 cylinders, the goofy spark plug placement [and on the 5.4/3V the spark plug type] and the cheesy alloys used in the heads on the Fords make the GM trucks a lot easier to work on.

I'm a firm believer in the old adage: Ford trucks for work, Chevrolet for play, and Dodge, well, they're great for the parks department.

I can have the water pump off one in 5 minutes! Spark plugs are acessable as is the air filter.

My wife's Tahoe has the 5.3.it does use some oil and it sounds like the pistons are changing holes when its cold but it keeps plugging along.

I've got a 2006 GMC Sierra Denali pickup with the High Output version of the 6.0L. This is the LQ9 engine. The same basic engine as the regular 6.0L you are looking at except I have 345hp instead of 300. The engine has been nothing but reliable.. The entire truck has been dead reliable. Plenty of power. Sure the fuel mileage isn't the greatest but with a big crewcab truck with all wheel drive getting 14.6 average MPG is not bad. When I tow my 30' RV it's barely a drag on it - just pulls it fine and will give me about 9-10mpg. I have 112k miles on the truck and have done 6k mile oil changes with Mobil 1 EP and I change the transmission and transfer case fluid every 25k miles. I did the front and rear diffs and power steering at 50k miles. I didn;t need brakes until 80k miles but did all 4 anyway and flushed the fluid. The rears (disc brakes) probably could have gone another 30k miles.

So - my vote is FOR the truck you're looking at with the 6.0L. I purposely bought my Denali for the 6.0L. You will not like the old 350 motor after experiencing a new Vortec.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back