5w50 in place of 10w60 for BMW M3

The E46 M3 is maybe my favorite car ever, so I am not trying to be biased or anything here, they just made some very weird errors that shouldn't happen.

While I understand the S65 is an awesome engine (barring the bearing thing), the 4.2 in the RS4/R8 is one hell of an engine as well. But it has its own problems with carbon buildup and fifty feet of timing chains :ROFLMAO: . Then the Merc 6.2 is a great engine also but has problems with head bolts stretching. So it is weird why these engines have such basic problems.

By modern standards the engine in my car (2.5T) is one of the best engines in the world. The S55 has been pretty good and the S58 looks great so far.
CBU and timing chain issue in Audi V8 is just beginning. Not sure what is more of an issue, timing chain or heat exchanger job.
MB 6.2 is OK, but nothing spectacular considering displacement.

The reason why newer engines are more stout is that turbos allow extremely high performance throughout rev. bend.
They also have lower redlines. Don't loads on the bottom end go up linearly with torque but exponentially with RPM?

While I understand the S65 is an awesome engine (barring the bearing thing), the 4.2 in the RS4/R8 is one hell of an engine as well. But it has its own problems with carbon buildup and fifty feet of timing chains :ROFLMAO: . Then the Merc 6.2 is a great engine also but has problems with head bolts stretching. So it is weird why these engines have such basic problems.
I understand this perspective, but personally I'm shocked these engines don't have MORE problems. The fact that they're all pretty much bulletproof outside of 1 or 2 quirks is astounding.

They also have lower redlines. Don't loads on the bottom end go up linearly with torque but exponentially with RPM?
Yes. That was my point. They achieve desired result with turbo. Turbo engines are more useful in everyday driving. Still, BMW M turbo engines have very high rpm for such engines. Yet, they are extremely stout. The crank hub is just an issue on very, very few engines. We also have to take into consideration that N55 engine was not really the best platform to develop an engine such as S55 from.
IMO, B58 so far proved to be very stout and I bet S58 will not have too many issues.

I understand this perspective, but personally I'm shocked these engines don't have MORE problems. The fact that they're all pretty much bulletproof outside of 1 or 2 quirks is astounding.
^This.
And this bashing comes from people that buy some M car that is neglected, and then they have a big-ticket items. Not sure they expected on a vehicle like that? They think they bought $10,000 vehicle when they are actually driving performance limousine that in the case of M5/6 could go well over $100k when new.

Back