5W40 or 0W40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been an avid user of Mobil 1 5W30 since I've owned the vehicle and have no problems as well I've used Penzoil Ultra 5W30 here and there when on sale. As much as I love the Mobil 1, I'm wanting to switch to a 5W40 or 0W40 and can't decide which one and what brand. Why do I want to switch? 5W30 definitely brings out the valvetrain noise in my VQ35DE (quite common with Mobil 1 I've been reading) and I want to try something different just before winter hints to see how it preforms

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE
3. Where you live
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (COLD!)
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
I usually am easy on my car but I definitely do spirited driving every now and then
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
I drive 80KM a day (M-F) and if I go anywhere besides work and back home, it will of course add more.
6. Whether your car has any known problems
No problems at all

I have been using 5w40 in our VQ for about 20k miles now and it runs nice and quiet. I dont have a lot of other data but the 5w40 seems to work well and is a really stout oil. Pretty good fit for an engine that is known to be hard on oil.

I'll be trying M1 0W-40 in my VQ35DE next. I've used M1 HM 10W-40 before and it has easily been the smoothest oil I've run yet. I'm sure 0W-40 will be exceptional as well.

First welcome to BITOG.
We need all the Canadians we can get!

You didn't mention if PP or PU 5W-30 still produced the valve train noise? If not then stick with that or try another 5W-30 brand.

If you still want to try a heavier oil, why not Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 which is a lot cheaper than M1 0W-40. You can get it at any Imperial Oil oil depot for about 8 bucks/L. This is a HDEO that is lighter than M1 0W-40 at all start-up temp's (hey I've been in Winnepeg in the winter so I know how cold it gets) but is heavier than all 5W-30 except at extremely cold temp's.

You can also get HDEO 0W-30's from Petro-Canada and Shell Canada.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Penzoil Ultra did produce the valve train noise but it was A LOT quieter vs Mobil 1

Looks like I know what to try next Mobil 1 0w40. How about Motul or Liqui Moli?

I've been hearing a lot about Rotella T6 5W40 too

I agree with M1 0W-40, but you may find M1 5W-30 high mileage to quiet the head noise at a cheaper price.

Originally Posted By: RJ45

Penzoil Ultra did produce the valve train noise but it was A LOT quieter vs Mobil 1

Then forget about any 40wt oil, you're on the wrong track.
That's not the solution to what you're trying to acheive and will be counter-productive from an overall lubrication perpective..

Then give consideration to my HDEO 0W-30 suggestion. These oils are heavier at operating temperature than anything you've tried yet.
Just to let you know, our American friends would love to get their hands on some of our 0W-30 and 0W-40 oils that are unavailable States side; they're that good.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
0W-40.

Give Royal Purple 0W-40 a shot. Nobody ever talks about RP 0W-40. (With or without Synerlec.)

That's because it doesn't have a list of approvals as long as my arm like a certain other 0w40 that gets recommended far more often.......

OVERKILL, give me a hand here vouching for the Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 (nee XD-3) as being an even better choice to M1 0W-40 as a heavy (HTHSV 3.5cP +) almost 40wt oil but far superior for winter use (MRV 14,000cP vs 31,000cP) than M1?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
OVERKILL, give me a hand here vouching for the Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 (nee XD-3) as being an even better choice to M1 0W-40 as a heavy (HTHSV 3.5cP +) almost 40wt oil but far superior for winter use (MRV 14,000cP vs 31,000cP) than M1?

Support given!
grin.gif

Well I did some calling around and I can't get the Mobil Delvac 0W30 anywhere locally along with the Petro and Shell offerings. I can get 0W40 though!

Originally Posted By: RJ45
Well I did some calling around and I can't get the Mobil Delvac 0W30 anywhere locally along with the Petro and Shell offerings. I can get 0W40 though!

I'm surprised to hear that as the Mobil ... 0W-30 (previously known as Esso XD-3 0W-30 and you could try that name) is a common oil and used to be carried at Home Hardware and even WalMart. I'd call Imperial Oil and ask for the closest source to you and refer to as Esso XD-3 0W-30, that might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back