5W40 or 0W40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RJ45
I'm wanting to switch to a 5W40 or 0W40 and can't decide which one and what brand.

That's gotta be the easiest decision in the world. Go with Valvoline Synpower 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Just to let you know, our American friends would love to get their hands on some of our 0W-30 and 0W-40 oils that are unavailable States side; they're that good.

It IS perplexing as to why that is, especially for the one's produced BY U.S. companies (Delvac Elite 222).
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: RJ45
I'm wanting to switch to a 5W40 or 0W40 and can't decide which one and what brand.

That's gotta be the easiest decision in the world. Go with Valvoline Synpower 5W-40.

The easiest decision in the world, and you still get it wrong!
Sir I'm sorry but you need to go back to lubrication school and stop cutting classes this time!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Just to let you know, our American friends would love to get their hands on some of our 0W-30 and 0W-40 oils that are unavailable States side; they're that good.

It IS perplexing as to why that is, especially for the one's produced BY U.S. companies (Delvac Elite 222).
confused2.gif

Here's the link for the oil:
http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_Elite_222.pdf
Perhaps you could email Mobil and ask them why?
If enough ask they may bring it in.

The easiest decision in the world, and you still get it wrong!
Sir I'm sorry but you need to go back to lubrication school and stop cutting classes this time!

I used one quart of Synpower 5W-40 as an additive a couple of times and I was really impressed by the performance gain.

It's my goal to eventually save up enough pennies to run a full 6 quart fill of the oil someday.

I used to have an Infiniti G35 and tried quite a few good oils but found M1 0W-40 to give the best combination of low oil consumption and good gas mileage. Of course it's a long drain oil so it is good at that too.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That's because it doesn't have a list of approvals as long as my arm like a certain other 0w40 that gets recommended far more often.......

But, if he can get the RP at an acceptable price (i.e. lower than the M1), that might be an option. I do agree with your Delvac 0w-30 suggestion, though. Heck, I'd probably consider running that myself if I weren't on warranty.

PC 0w-30 isn't exactly a light 30 weight either, and for some reason is cheaper than PC 5w-30 synthetic, at least if buying it on Petro Points.

Garak, good points.
With PC I was thinking more a long the lines of Duron 0W-30 but you're right about PC PCMOs 5W-30 and 0W-30 being somewhat heavier than the 5W-30s of M1, PU and PP. So yes they're definitely worth a try also.

Mobil 1's 0W-40 oil has been called probably their best oil. next to their 15W-50 grade. M1 0W-40 is an outstanding oil.

Still, there are other 0W-40 oils, and Redline 0W-40 is a good mail order choice. Royal Purple 0W-40, either new or old forumulation, is an unknown. AMSOIL probably has an excellent 0W-40 too. The issue is availability.

I have ONLY seen M1 0W-40 and RP 0W-40 on shelves.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Mobil 1's 0W-40 oil has been called probably their best oil. next to their 15W-50 grade. M1 0W-40 is an outstanding oil.

Still, there are other 0W-40 oils, and Redline 0W-40 is a good mail order choice. Royal Purple 0W-40, either new or old forumulation, is an unknown. AMSOIL probably has an excellent 0W-40 too. The issue is availability.

I have ONLY seen M1 0W-40 and RP 0W-40 on shelves.

He's in Canada and gets access to more 0wX oils, like the Rotella and XD3 I mentioned.

With PC I was thinking more a long the lines of Duron 0W-30 but you're right about PC PCMOs 5W-30 and 0W-30 being somewhat heavier than the 5W-30s of M1, PU and PP. So yes they're definitely worth a try also.

I ran across the specs for the PC 0w-30 PCMO when I was hunting for oils for my G. While I was planning on conventional anyhow, it didn't hurt to look at other specs, and that oil looks pretty good. I haven't looked at the per bottle dollar price, but the Petro-Points price is very attractive. I believe the 0w-30 PCMO gives the SM/GF-4 or SN/GF-5 combination as well, which I don't believe the Duron provides - an issue to those under warranty, I suppose.

Well I've been looking around on shelves and I'm leaning towards the M1 0W40. The Rotella 0W40 is very tempting. Why is this such a hard choice? Lol

Then give consideration to my HDEO 0W-30 suggestion. These oils are heavier at operating temperature than anything you've tried yet.

I'd love to try the 0w 30 hdeos! why can't we get them here?

Originally Posted By: timeau
I do not see significant difference between M1 0W40 and M1 10W40 HM, please, see my recent UOA:
Maxima 2005, 7500 OCI
I would probably change brand (Castrol or Pennzoil) and stick with 5W30.

M1 HM 10w40 and M1 0w40 are very different oils.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Then give consideration to my HDEO 0W-30 suggestion. These oils are heavier at operating temperature than anything you've tried yet.

I'd love to try the 0w 30 hdeos! why can't we get them here?

I'd just be happy if we could get 5w30 HDEO's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back