5w40 availablity..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm thinking i want One of the New Dodge darts for my next Car, And i want the 1.4L Turbo, w/ the 6 Speed Dual Clutch tranny,. Now that is the same engine in the US Spec Fiat 500 Abarth, which according to what I've been able to find online, calls for a 5w40 Syn.

looking locally(admittedly only @ 2 stores so far) the ONLY 5w40 oil I'm seeing, and I mean ONLY, is Rotella T6.
I know this is a good oil, but looking for a little...competition...variety, etc.
anyone?

T6 is a very good oil...my local AAP has 5W40 Castrol, 0W40 M1 (my recommendation). I have seen a few other 0W40 and 5W40 (like Synpower) at the local Walmart...but I have to get my Pennzoil Ultra via mail order...

not arguing the quality of t6, just would like to have some choices is all...

I love Pepsi, but if that's ALL that was available, after a while i'd probably kill for a coke.

that sort of thing.

If Rotella T6 was all I could get my hands on, I wouldn't worry about it. Does the Dart require a CJ-4 or just the 40 weight viscosity?

Originally Posted By: Rand
m1 truck and suv is 5w40

Yeah...good point...but I've bought all mine at the NEX...and I don't know if the OP has access to that, so I didn't mention it, though I have quite a stash of it...but I think it's one of the ones at Wal-mart...

Originally Posted By: cancov
If Rotella T6 was all I could get my hands on, I wouldn't worry about it. Does the Dart require a CJ-4 or just the 40 weight viscosity?

Couldn't Begin to tell you, the Car isn't even out yet. and having a hard time finding info on the 500 Abarth as well.

this is all really just so much speculation at this point

Edit - Just found this, best i can come up with so far....

"This high-performance 1.4-liter engine also is fitted with a structural aluminum oil pan. Crankcase capacity is 4.0 quarts with a dry filter. Synthetic 5W-40 engine oil is recommended, due to higher overall temperatures with the turbocharger. To maintain a lower ownership cost for the Fiat 500 Abarth, oil change intervals are set at 8,000 miles. "

Last edited:
You can get Kendall GT-1 Full Syn 5W-40 online for $70 shipped for a 12 ct case which works out to ~$5.83/Qt from Petroleum Service Company.
O'Reilly's has Valvoline Synpower on sale for $5.49 a Qt and they should be carrying 5W-40.

The only downfall I see with the T6, is the lack of friction modifiers that are found in PCMO. This, for whatever minute reason, may decrease MPG's. The motor would stay very clean with the T6, but maybe, just maybe, there would be a loss in MPG. This is why I was asking if the car required a HDEO. I doubt it. However, the add pack of the HDEO may help with initial break-in.

I saw the Dart on the Dodge website the other day. It kinda of reminded me of the Neon a little, but good to see that Dodge is getting back into the compact market with a turbo. This market has really grown in variety.

All in all, if my car called for a 40 weight, I'd be stashing Rotella T6. Good oil at a decent price.

Last edited:
AA has Castrol 5w-40, if you're looking for variety. Walmart has Synpwer 5w-40. NAPA also has Synpower 5w-40 as well as some other exotics such as LubroMoly.

M1 0W-40 is widely available.

Really liking what I have seen so far of the Dodge Dart...hopefully it puts Dodge back in the mix with small cars

Last edited:
Nix on the RT6 and M1 TDT for this application. These are primarily diesel oils and are OK for mixed-fleet use, being CJ-4/SM rated, but are not optimized for gasoline engines. You'll need an oil rated SN for a new gasoline turbo engine. M1 0w40 is probably the fully-synthetic gasoline-rated 40-weight that is available. But others are good, too.

I went Rotella for my QUAD. When I was looking for 5-40 I went to 3 different Wally's and found Rotell in all of them, but only one other 5-40 I could find was PY.

Castrol 5W-40 is an archaic product that only meets 229.3 and LL-98.

Valvoline 5W-40 that's sold in quarts and gallons is MST which is a diesel oil which won't hold up to longer intervals because of our sulfur laden gasoline. The M1 ESP products while very good and likely better than Synpower, also suffer the same way.

There are plenty of fine 40wt solutions. My pick would be M1 0W-40 because of it's known excellent quality and good availability at good prices. Rotella T6, M1 TDT and Delvac are also relatively easy to find. Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 and Kendall GT-1 Euro are other good ones though too much trouble to get them, and M1 0W-40 is still is the benchmark for euro oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Castrol 5W-40 is an archaic product that only meets 229.3 and LL-98.

FYI, Castrol 5w-40 now meets LL-01 which is the current BMW spec for their gasoline engines in the US. But yeah, given a choice between M1 0w-40 and Castrol 5w-40, I'd go with the former.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Nix on the RT6 and M1 TDT for this application. These are primarily diesel oils and are OK for mixed-fleet use, being CJ-4/SM rated, but are not optimized for gasoline engines. You'll need an oil rated SN for a new gasoline turbo engine. M1 0w40 is probably the fully-synthetic gasoline-rated 40-weight that is available. But others are good, too.

I agree.
An alternative to M1 0W-40 would be PU 5W-40 if you can find it.

That engine probably prefers a gasoline engine 5W-40, not a diesel engine 5W-40, subject to seeing the full spec list for the oil for that engine.

Most retailers will order a full case of any brand of oil they carry. If you like Mobil (0W-40 is excellent), or ConocoPhillips76Kendall, or Pennz, or any other that makes a 5W-40 "Euro" engine oil, they'll get it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back