5w30 vs 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can wear any kind of skirts you want...we won't even snicker.
grin.gif

Mav, it is not certain what it is about Red Line which eliminates the piston slap sound ... the moly barrier protection or the polyol base oil?
confused.gif

Yes, the piston skirt wear is a problem with some motors ... and is often not the result from neglect. Still, a really good oil with potent barrier protection should prevent this from occuring until much later.

--- Bror Jace

You have a 110,000 on a Honda with dino oil and MOST IMPORTANT - regular oil changes, why change now? Keep doing what you are doing and the car will rust apart before the engine starts to wear out. There is no benefit to changing now, except to the oil company you by the oil from. There is a misunderstanding about pumpability(sp?) Just because synthetic oil pumps at -50* when dino oil has problems, does not mean it pumps better at 32*, it is not a linear scale to compare, it is only measurable at the extreme end. If you live in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan and you park your car outside all night when it is -30* w/o wind, then you might have a case for synthetics..if the car was newer. You have a great car that I am guessing has been running great so far with 110,000 miles(like all Honda's), don't jump into the hype of "better oils" now, just change them regularly like you have been and enjoy another 110,000 miles if you still have it.

Good points, dagmando . But I will try the Mobil 1 and Redline just to see if there is any noticeable difference. I also really would like to get away from these short intervals and "extend" to Honda's recommended 7500 miles but I just don't trust the dino's enough. That oil get's awfully black very quickly as it is.
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
 -

Actually if you look at the Mobil 1 specs, I wonder why the 5W-30 and 10W-30 are different?? there is only very marginal difference in the specs and the 5W-30 has the better viscosity index compared to the M1 10W-30......I think the 5W-30 and 10W30 are almost identical and are sold in different containers because Mobil obviously needs both viscosities...

You cannot compare the viscosity index between a 5w30 and a 10w30 though, only between other oils of the same viscosity. A 5w30 will always have a higher viscosity index than a 10w30 of the same formulation. That doesn't necessarily mean the 5w30 is better though.

Patman.....please compare a few VIs ..especially on Mobil 1.......the VI values do not follow the viscosity of the oil....M1 10W-30 has the worst VI of all M1 oils......... worse than 0W-30, the 5W-30, the 15W-50 ...

[ November 29, 2002, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

Alex,

You're looking at the viscosity index the wrong way. What is viscosity index?..."VISCOSITY INDEX (VI) - empirical, unitless number indicating the effect of temperature change on the kinematic viscosity of an oil....The VI of an oil - with known viscosity at 40°C and at 100°C - is determined by comparing the oil with two standard oils having and arbitrary VI of 0 and 100, respectively, and both having the same viscosity at 100°C as the test oil."
http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/NewOronite/library/li_dictionary_v.htm

So, the oil with a 20 point spread in it's viscosity, 10W-30 (I know, I'm oversimplifying) will not have as high a viscosity index as an oil with a 40 point spread, 0W-40, by definition. You can use VI as one not very useful way to compare oils of the same listed viscosity.

Ken

I am also going to try a couple of Auto-Rx treatments......seems to be highly popular here and hey....it's guranteed. Thanks all!
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back