5W30 V/S 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I have been using 10W30 Mobile 1 synthetic oil in my 4cyl. Camry for a long time now. I was just thinking about switching back to 5W30 as toyota recommends. Would it be ok to do so? What should i expect new(good or bad) in my car upon this, like noise, performance, power? I would appreciate replies.

There is not much difference between the 2. Mobil 1 10w30 is the better oil and is more shear stable. M1 10w30 will provide better cold weather performence then a conventional 5w30. I was advised buy someone on this board who probibly knows more about oil then anyone on here to use M1 10w30 year round even in the cold Colorado winters.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
M1 10w30 will provide better cold weather performence then a conventional 5w30.

Only below -30C though. Above that, any 5W-30 is thinner at startup.

I don't know how cold it gets down there; that would be the determining factor. I think I'd use 5W-30 in weather where there are temperatures close to or below freezing, and 0W-30 for anything significantly colder than that. I use 10W-30 for the summer months here for its higher stability (less oil make-up).
If you do have temps close to or below freezing, you might notice slightly better fuel economy with the 5W-30. Other than that, I don't think you, or your engine, will notice any difference.

whybethisintheadditivesforum
confused.gif
???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back