5w30 that clings to parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here looking for information. I found a reply in a old topic that seem to discribe the problem I'm having with Valvoline Maxlife blend.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Less traction on the M1 PAO base may lead to increase tappet noise, as the dynamic oil wedge is lessened under the tappet foot.

What? Please explain that for me as i do not understand traction, dynamic oil wedge, tappet foot.

Given lubricant of non-diverse, short wax chain length and a likely lack of vii the oil doesnt wrap around the camshaft like 'honey on a spoon' and provide an (overly?) thick oil cushion for the bottom of the cam tappet to ride on; instead its riding on a near monomolecular layer of lubricant or boundary or EP. Typical of PAO base syn with no vii. May cause more metal scavenging by EP ADDS v. your old fashioned conventionl, molecular diverse 10w-40.

My 97 Ranger 2.3L seems to have more valve train clatter with Maxlife and I've read Valvoline has removed moly from Maxlife. I've
always used Valvoline in all my vehicles. Now I'm looking for a off the shelf 5w30 oil brand that I can buy at Walmart that has the additives needed to make the oil cling to parts and keep my engine quiet. Is there still a brand or type of oil that will be good for this ?
Thank you.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bank on the PAO content in regular M1 these days, more hydro cracked Group III than PAO, but M1 HM has good reviews. Pennzoil yellow bottle seems to quiet down my high mileage Jeep 4.0 (220K now), but that may just be my imagination!

I would agree that some blends and dinos are quieter than 'synthetics' IME.

I first used Maxlife after hearing about it here. It seemed noticeably quieter in my higher mileage fleet trucks. It also stopped leaks and cleaned things up a bit...

I wouldn't go to a regular oil after using high mileage. You could try Defy HM or M1 HM, or add some moly to the Maxlife you're using now.

Since I purchased my truck new in 2007 it has had valve train noise when using the required 0w-5w/20, when I tried out the PYB 5w-30 it made a noticeable difference. Since then I have been "experimenting" with my own blends of 5w-30 of Sopus products such as PYB and PP, with similar results.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Redline

That's a little pricey for a '97 Ranger with a 2.3.

I don't think the polarity of the base oil is a concern in your application. Your valvetrain noise, or piston slap, isn't caused by the oil not clinging to parts.

If you wanted to quiet the engine try an oil with Boron, look at the pqia website and find one. Maybe you can find one with lots of boron and moly. If you're in a warmer part of CA maybe a thicker oil as well.

Or... gasp... adjust your valves and realize a car that age is going to have some wear related engine noise.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Redline

That's a little pricey for a '97 Ranger with a 2.3.

I don't think the polarity of the base oil is a concern in your application. Your valvetrain noise, or piston slap, isn't caused by the oil not clinging to parts.

If you wanted to quiet the engine try an oil with Boron, look at the pqia website and find one. Maybe you can find one with lots of boron and moly. If you're in a warmer part of CA maybe a thicker oil as well.

Or... gasp... adjust your valves and realize a car that age is going to have some wear related engine noise.

I think you're right, looking at PQIA at the pennzoil yellow bottle as a couple people suggested above, it has a decent dose of moly and boron, might be a great oil for him to try. http://www.pqiamerica.com/Pennzoil.htm

My 1996 Mazda-badged Ranger (Manger?) with the 2.3L doesn't seem to mind Castrol Syntec 5w-30 or Mobil1 5w-30. My Dad owned it before me and mostly used Castrol Syntec and Fram (orange) filters. I have been using Castrol Syntec lately with a Motorcraft filter for what it's worth. I've thought about switching to MaxLife synthetic (since it leaks some), but have some more Syntec to use up.

oil clinging to parts does not immediately equate to mo betta engine longevity.

Proper API/ILSAC certified lubrication, properly running engine (not running too cold/too rich causing cylinder wall washdown, etc.), will make your engine outlast your automotive body.

I don't get into that "cling" hype on all the automobile fleet I serviced so far.

Q.

Mobil 1 High Mileage with Lubro Moly MOS2.

Use half the can with the OCI and the other half with your next OCI in 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Mobil 1 High Mileage with Lubro Moly MOS2.

Use half the can with the OCI and the other half with your next OCI in 5000 miles.

That sounds like a good idea. Wonder how a high moly oil like Pennzoil hm with a dose of Motor Oil Saver and MOS2 would fare?

I reason I feel the noise maybe oil related is because it started when I used Valvoline maxlife. I could only hear it when hot at idle. The engine is nice and clean inside and the oil pickup screen was clean. I've installed a new oil pump and a new cylinder head that came complete with cam, followers and lifters. The noise is about 95% gone. Before I worked on the engine I couldn't find the cause of the noise. It was just a light chatter noise at lifter speed. The engine had good oil pressure, all the lifter were pumped up and nothing looked worn or felt loose. The post that Arcograghite made seemed to describe the problem I was having with the Maxlife in my 2.3L. the engine doesn't have any leaks would a non-high mileage oil be better ? I would like to find a oil that has the additives in it. I have read that that moly added to oil just sinks to the bottom. Is there a list here that shows the additives in the different brands of oils and what each additive does ? It would be nice to see a list all in one place.

My vehicles both run nice and quiet, one uses Quaker State, the other Chevron Havoline. When I can find Chevron Supreme on sale I'd Like to try it, too.

Valvoline Synpower and NAPA synthetic were a little noisy.

Last edited:
Thanks for that list. I just wish it showed the high mileage oils as well. Pennzoil and Quaker State have a bad reputation for gunking up engines. Is that just a problem from the past ?
The look to have a good amount of moly and zinc.

The valves in my Focus made more noise with Maxlife 5w-20. I switched to QS Defy 5w-20 and it really made a difference in noise. It got even quieter after 5-600 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back