5W30 in a 1.6l Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
not trying to call you a liar or anything, but are you sure it calls for 20?(can you double check the manual?) I was under the impression that all the boosted engines were spec'd at 5w30...

I know dad's '15 escape with the 2.0EB is....

...huh... that's bizarre, the Amsoil site confirms 5w20 on the 1.5 EB...weird...

anyway, unless someone has a pressing reason, like a tsb or something to explain why it's spec's for a 20 over a 30, I'd run a minimum of an Xw30 in any Turbo engine..

Last edited:
Use the synthetic 5w30 and premium fuel of your choice
smile.gif

BigTrees, you're more likely to be struck by lightening 7 times than you are to experience an engine problem caused by using 5W-30 in an engine spec'd for 5W-20. Thin oils are all about adding .02 mpg to the manufacturer's CAFE numbers. They add no other value.

After what I learned about the Mazda 2.3's turbo in my Speed6, I opt for at least XW-30. Mazda had to issue a bulletin on that engine to install 5W-40 for the people who were experiencing turbo seal leaks (excessive smoke at idle), and for the most part, it fixed the issue. Moving from a 5W-20 to a 5W-30 won't hurt a thing. Turbos see exhaust temperatures of 1000 degrees or more. Speaking for myself, I feel a little queasy when I drain hot oil out of a turbocharged engine that looks like brown water.

My Mazda CX-3 called for 0W-20. I just couldn't do it. It got PP 5W-30 and it never complained.

Originally Posted By: BigTrees
If it's under warranty, wouldn't it be a better choice to stick with 5w20?

Does it say anywhere in his owner's manual (or anywhere else for that matter) that his warranty will be voided if he uses a viscosity different than listed?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The 1.0/1.5/1.6EB motors call for 5W20.

Wern't the early EcoBoost trucks originally spec'sd for 5W-20 but they changed the spec afterwards. I wonder if they were experiencing issues with the EcoBoost and 5W-20 in the heavier SUV's and trucks. Maybe that's why the difference between the car and truck EcoBoost viscosity.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: BigTrees
If it's under warranty, wouldn't it be a better choice to stick with 5w20?

31.gif

5w20 and 0w20 have no place in a TGDI engine. Bad things like LSPI occur with 0w20 and regular 87-octane with TGDI. Ford has back-spec'd at least some TGDI "eco" boosts to 5w30, and Honda got in big trouble in China with the CRV.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
... Bad things like LSPI occur with 0w20 and regular 87-octane with TGDI. ...
Your evidence that LSPI has anything to do with viscosity?

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
... Bad things like LSPI occur with 0w20 and regular 87-octane with TGDI. ...
Your evidence that LSPI has anything to do with viscosity?

LSPI has nothing to do with viscosity, and everything to do with additives according to all the available information i've read and many of us have shared.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The 1.0/1.5/1.6EB motors call for 5W20.

Wern't the early EcoBoost trucks originally spec'sd for 5W-20 but they changed the spec afterwards. I wonder if they were experiencing issues with the EcoBoost and 5W-20 in the heavier SUV's and trucks. Maybe that's why the difference between the car and truck EcoBoost viscosity.

Whimsey

The 2010s did, but were never updated. The trucks didn't come with EcoBoost until 2011 and they were always 5W30.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
not trying to call you a liar or anything, but are you sure it calls for 20?(can you double check the manual?) I was under the impression that all the boosted engines were spec'd at 5w30...

I know dad's '15 escape with the 2.0EB is....

...huh... that's bizarre, the Amsoil site confirms 5w20 on the 1.5 EB...weird...

anyway, unless someone has a pressing reason, like a tsb or something to explain why it's spec's for a 20 over a 30, I'd run a minimum of an Xw30 in any Turbo engine..

Its on the oil cap. 2013 model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back