5W30 for a Toyota 1zz-fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of the following oils, which would provide the most protection for 7500mile drains in my toyota matrix's 1zz-fe engine?

Amsoil s3k 5w30HD
Amsoil 5w30
Mobil1 5w30
Redline 5w30

I'll be running the standard issue toyota filters on this one.

--Matt

I have the same motor in a 99 Corolla.I have run M1 5W30 for from the intial OC to about 47K.Have experimented with some conventional 5W30's for about 3K.
Now I am going back to M1 with 5K to 7.5K OCI.
fruit.gif

On the UOA board a UOA of a 1zz Corolla with around 6K on M1 5W30.A really excellent analysis with recommendation for going an additional 2K on the interval.

The Toyota 1ZZ engines are excellent designs that probably do well with a lot of oils but the M1 5W30 look the most impressive in this application.

I've used M1 5W30 in my Corolla since new and it currently has 50K(there was a recent 3k stint with dino).The engine rund exactly the same as new and is spotless internally.

recommended oil weight anywhere but North America is 0/40 or 5/40.
make of that what you will.

As far as the Amsoil products are concerned, you'll get the best all around engine performance and fuel efficiency by using their Series 2000, 0w-30.... I wouldn't go with the Series 3000 in this particular case, but I do like it better for V-8 engine applications.

I'd go with a 15,000 mile/1 year change interval, with a filter change and topoff halfway through; using the Amsoil SDF or Mobil 1 oil filters. It is a very good idea to run a high efficiency, high capacity oil filter in any extended drain application. This helps to keep the total solids level in check and controls oxidative thickening. In diesel engines, a high efficiency oil filter will do a better job of controlling soot related thickening ....

The wear rates will be very low with any of the Amsoil formulations in a Toyota engine and they will also be very low with Mobil 1 or Redline. So I don't think wear rates will be an issue with any decent synthetic in any Toyota engine ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

All are good. I'd use Redline for hard driving, or just stick with M1. If you can find GC, thats a great choice as well. S3k is not friction modified like the others, so your performance might lack a bit.
smile.gif

Redline is freely avaliable to me(summit racing is nearby). If it'll protect better and possibly give me better gas mileage the $2 extra a quart is worth it to me. Do you think I'd benefit from the redline?

--Matt

Ya, so I'm just gonna stick with the mobil1 5w30. 7500mile intervals should be no problem right?

--Matt

quote:

Ya, so I'm just gonna stick with the mobil1 5w30. 7500mile intervals should be no problem right?

I have an 01 Corolla with 150k + miles on it. I've tried Amsoil/M1/RL. Tooslick was right and that for wear rates, you won't see a difference. These Toyota engines are much like Subarus and show good wear regardless of the oil. I had good success with oil consumption with Amsoil 2000 0w-30. M1 5w-30 should do well and easily make 7.5K miles. Amsoil ASL is another good option. Does the car consume any oil?

I wouldnt do any extended drain intervals in the 1zzfe engines (at least the ones that were built and put in the MR2 SPyder in 2000-2001) those engines suck arse! Myself and many others (check Spyderchat.com) have had to have long blocks replaced due to some manf defects with the rings (they started using teflon coated rings on the rebuilds. So unless the car in question is seriously out of warranty, I would stick to the scheduled maintanance.

quote:

Originally posted by 2003TRD:
I wouldnt do any extended drain intervals in the 1zzfe engines (at least the ones that were built and put in the MR2 SPyder in 2000-2001) those engines suck arse! Myself and many others (check Spyderchat.com) have had to have long blocks replaced due to some manf defects with the rings (they started using teflon coated rings on the rebuilds. So unless the car in question is seriously out of warranty, I would stick to the scheduled maintanance.

On my 1991 toyota previa, a "normal" interval is considered to be 7,500 miles, and a "severe" interval is considered to be 3,750 miles. And this would be on conventional oil, but certainly, synthetic oil would be able to do it as long if not longer.

I don't think these intervals have changed much in the latter years, so a 7,500 mile OCI would fall under the factory reccomended schedule, and therefore still be within warranty, although the dealer would probably try and find any way possible to say that the car was driven under severe conditions to get out of warranty claims.

The engine consumes about 1/2qt of M1 5w30 per 5k miles. Really a negligible amount. But a new car shouldn't be drinking oil, especially not at 15k miles. And the recommended OCI is 5-7.5k miles

--Matt

Might mixing in 1/2 a qt of 15w50 slow down the oil consumption a bit?

--Matt

At 15k miles, the engine could still be breaking in. Perhaps the rings aren't fully seated. Try this: accelerate to 50-60mph in 2nd gear, then let off the gas, and let only the engine slow you down in second gear (make sure you do this in a safe manner). If this is an auto, manually stick it in second. The strong vaccumm should unstick rings. Also, a couple of WOT (mash the pedal in other words) runs to redline once the engine is fully warmed up should help burn off any carbon deposits.

Although, I have read somewhere that the matrix's engines do drink some oil.

Ya, I downshift the car and hit the redline regularly. .5qt/5k miles isn't really anything to worry about. my saturn consumed a quart every 500 miles at one point in time. now if the consumption gets more than it is, I will have to visit the dealer.

--Matt

could the oil consumption be caused by the weather being consistantly below 20F, and even below 0F at times? I know cold starts can cause some burn off.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back