5w30 different from 10w30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oil cap say 5w30, should I stay with 5w30, or I can use 10w30 ? and what is different between those 2 ? thanks

i agree. quicker lubrication at start up. and sometimes using a 5-30 over a 10-30 actually helps fuel mileage. mainly cuz you use less energy at startup

Although one would think that at operating temps a 5W-30 has the same viscosity as a 10W-30, the truth is that viscosity "ratings" have some latitude and most 10W-30 oils are higher viscosity than their 5W-30 counterparts from the same manufacturer, even at full operating temps.

Firstly, if your car says to use 5W-30, then use it.

The difference is basically that 10W-30 uses a thicker base oil but less additives. Yes, there is more friction at start-up using 10W-30. But there is also more shearing using 5W-30 and up until the late 1990s, many lubrication guides/car manuals stated that 10W-30 should be used for "extended highway driving" largely because of 5W-30 shearing down to a 20 weight. However, 5W-30s are vastly improved and this isn't as true as it once was and 5W-20 will protect most engines adequately anyways. But 10W-30 may still be ideal with some applications where it is called for due to higher operating temperatures or constant summer highway driving...

Better yet if it states 5w30 use 0w30 and get little better befit of quicker flowing oil at start up where most wear happens.

You are from MS, so, stay with the factory spec for the duration of warranty, THEN go to 10-30. Thats an excellent oil for our southern climes.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
You are from MS, so, stay with the factory spec for the duration of warranty, THEN go to 10-30. Thats an excellent oil for our southern climes.

Any 5 or 0w30 will protect in the heat just as good as a 10w30 oil would.
wink.gif

what car is this going in and whats it's use going to be??

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

...10W-30 may still be ideal with some applications where it is called for due to higher operating temperatures or constant summer highway driving...

In MS and TX climate, I agree 100%.

I bought this car from dealer, and it already had 134k miles, I dont know what oil weight it had in their, but blackstone say it 5w30 ( How do they know this ), that why I want to ask if 5w30 is ok, I alway use 10w30 on all my car down here. BTW what best for auto-rx clean and rinse phase 5w30 or 10w30 ? thanks

Originally Posted By: daman

wink.gif

I don't know about that. If it were true, there would be no more 10w-30 made. I would take a quality 10w-30 for high heat, hard driving any day over a 0 or 5w-30.

They know by the viscosity falling in the range for that oil.

5-30 or 10-30 will work fine in your climate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

wink.gif

I don't know about that. If it were true, there would be no more 10w-30 made. I would take a quality 10w-30 for high heat, hard driving any day over a 0 or 5w-30.

well if that were true then any car ran in the summer when it's hot out useing 5w30 would melt down and seize.

5w30 is what GM recomends and will protect fine in the summer heat,it's still a 30w when hot.

10W-30 can be a conventional

0W-30 pretty much has to be a synthetic

Not everyone is willing to use synthetic.

And some people are stuck in the "thicker is better" mentality.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

The difference is basically that 10W-30 uses a thicker base oil but less additives.

I think that's generally true of conventional oils (at least in past years), but I don't think its necessarily true of modern synthetics. From what I've been reading here and elsewhere, the current trend seems to be that a lot of synthetic oil makers use a better overall base oil for 0w30 and the Xw20s than they do for 10w30, because they can get away with a lesser base oil for 10w30. Starting with a sufficiently high VI base oil and using pour-point depressants has done a lot to reduce or eliminate the dependence on VIIs for wide viscosity range oils.

Originally Posted By: killagt
BTW what best for auto-rx clean and rinse phase 5w30 or 10w30 ? thanks
I'm wondering if straight 30 may be the best for Auto Rx clean and rinse.

Will Pennzoil Yellow bottle work perfect with auto-rx clean and rinse ? btw some one told me that Pennzoils Yellow bottle is not group 3, it that true ? thanks

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

wink.gif

well if that were true then any car ran in the summer when it's hot out useing 5w30 would melt down and seize.

5w30 is what GM recomends and will protect fine in the summer heat,it's still a 30w when hot.

I don't follow your logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back