5w30 Castrol Edge High Mileage Vs. 5w30 Castrol GTX High Mileage: Is There Any Meaningful Difference?

Hi folks. Southern Ontario with GM 3800 V6. Looking at each of these oils. FYI, car will be outside all winter but will be using an oil pan heater which works VERY well even at -21F. My go to oil for summer is the GTX High Mileage (which is semi-syn). With the Edge being 'Full Syn', does it really matter? OCIs will range between 4k and 5k. Thanks for any ideas/discussion.

What differences are you expecting? I would say the difference could/would be in the cold weather starting. These day with sales the prices are close enough to go with the syn just because.

Last edited:
Them 3800's don't really care what oil you put in them, I wouldn't go out of my way to remove the blend just to put in synthetic for the winter.

What differences are you expecting? I would say the difference could/would be in the cold weather starting. These day with sales the prices are close enough to go with the syn just because.
Oh, sorry, I should have shared that my primary reason for wanting to know if there is any material difference is for start up cold temps. If the blend works well for this engine (in combo with the pan warmer), then perhaps it wont matter? I looked at the PDS's for both oils and the viscosity range for the Edge is broader which would explain its superior cold weather flow properties. However, this engine is sensitive to low oil pressures with 5w30 weights and I really want to avoid the 'clackity clack' sound it made when I once used a full syn 5w30 (Napa). Full syns at 10w30 weights have always worked fine even in winter. I thought a 5w30 might work ok but perhaps the semi-syn would be more of a sweet spot? May not know for sure til I try it.

Just me....

But that far north in Ontario Canada...

5w for the win...

Getting down close or below -30° C is a good time for a 5w...

Heck I noticed in my area when in early January 2014 during a huge Arctic outbreak I was driving my lady's Camry around to get some heat into the car and that car is SLOW to warm up and being be that it was 6 degrees F that am I noticed other vehicles sounding loud... Going down the road. Was interesting to note that... If we are in the routine 20s and 30s my area sees.. that phenomena is not happening.

Back