5W30, 4k, Valvoline Extended Protection 06 Sentra

Hello Everyone,

Here is a UOA from a 2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V with 181k miles. Has 2.5 qr25de engine. Oil is Valvoline extended protection, 5w30 with 4k miles. No additives, for those wondering about the moly count. 12/6 is Valvoline maxlife full synthetic 5w30 api sp, 5/29 is valvoline maxlife full synthetic 5w30 api sn plus. No oil additives in those, either (people seem to be curious about the moly counts).

EDITED: replaced code with image as code wasn't displaying properly.

oilan.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. The wear numbers look great, but then again, only 4k miles per run, so not surprising. That is an impressive amount of moly, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a correlation between higher moly and lower wear numbers, so it's interesting at best.

Just curious why you posted the numbers in plain text instead of an image of the analysis report? I sometimes see people do it either way, but it seems like it would be extra work to post in plain text.

Thanks again for sharing this info.

Yeah, NP. I was curious, and I figured other people were curious about Valvoline's new Extended Protection oil. I try posting in plain text because I see a lot of old threads with broken image links. But since this image was an attachment rather than a link, it should be okay in the long run.

Agree, there seems to be some sort of allure to high moly. Moly isn't the only good antiwear additive, however (I seem to have similar wear numbers with the lower moly counts)!

Even though I'm not interested in extended oil intervals, I am interested in the best wear protection. The extended protection oil claims to have better wear protection than the Max Life full synthetic I was using before, while only costing $1 more per oil change. Not sure if there is any actual benefit, but $1 isn't bad at all.

4,000 miles what benefit is there to running an extended protection oil marketed oil?
Valvoline Extended Protection sounds like an extended oci oil but it's not meant to be interpreted that way. Valvoline's Extended Protection refers to "extending the life of your engine".

1624390152433.png

Thanks for posting OP. Excellent UOA.

Last edited:
@Artem that's the hope atleast, to get their oil with the best protection.

@Averroes looks like the big bump in moly helped Valvoline meet the new API SP spec; I guess it would depend on what the euro specs require!

@Duffyjr I wonder that too sometimes, if there are other important additives that aren't being measured. Also, these tests only report elements; what if certain molecules of boron are better than others (not sure if there are even variations of it in oil)? After all, certain molecules of oil perform better than others (synthetic vs. conventional)

Looks like excellent oil. It's this report that had me purchase two 5qt bottles of it this past weekend. It'll be the first time in years I've used something other than Pennzoil Platinum

Back