5W20 vs. 0W20 and some other questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. New to the forums, but not the site.

I have a 2002 Roush Mustang Stage 2 with approx. 42,250 miles on it and have always used the Motorcraft oil filter. At about 23-24,000 miles, I went from the Motorcraft Syn-Blend to Amsoil 5W20 XL for one oil change. I then switched to Royal Purple 5W20 as I used to be able to get a great deal on it which isn't the case anymore. I am also running out of a warranty, so using an API certified oil like Royal Purple compared a "non-certified" oil like Amsoil or Redline is not a concern now either.

Currently, I have Royal Purple in the engine from last July, though only about 1,000 miles on it, and want to get it switched out sooner than later as it has been sitting for the most part obviously.

I would like to run the Amsoil EAO11 oil filter and Amsoil 100% Synthetic 0W20 motor oil as both will definitely cover the mileage I drive, but also last for a year which is more along the lines of what I need considering how not-often I drive it. My main concern however, is the 0W20 vs. 5W20. Amsoil recommends this as the replacement oil, but will this negatively affect the engine in any way? I am probably being overcautious, but these modular engines are kind of picky and I haven't had any issues thus far and would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Spending the extra money is not a concern to me. I personally feel it is worth it, especially since when I do drive the car, I drive it the way it was intended to be driven. If I ever make it to the 3,000 mile mark before my time runs out, I do change it but I have never had a UOA done. I would like to do one with the oil in there now when it gets changed but I'm afraid with how long the oil has been sitting, it will not be a good sample?

Thank you all in advance.

Tyler

I would be more concerned if you were going from 5W-30 to 5W-20 but from 5W-20 to 0W-20 I don't really see a whole lot of change except much better cold cranking (which you really wouldn't need in NorCal) and perhaps a very slight gain in MPG.

I would personally feel more comfortable sticking with the 5W-20 though. Just my $0.02.

I would stick the Motorcraft filter. These engines are picky about filters. If your going to us Amsoil why not use their 0w30?
It will last one year easy and provide all the protection you would need during those fun drives. I drive my 04 Mach hard and I have been running Redline 5w20 in the winter and 5w30 during the summer with no problems.

I like Amsoil quite a bit, but just about any sythetic will handle your needs based on what you've posted.

I usually go for the Amsoil when I what a really long drain in terms of miles, not time.

The Amsoil 0W-20 will work well in you modular engine, but be prepared for for it to turn dark pretty quick the first time you use it. It has a very good additive package in it and it will do some cleaning. I highly recommend the EaO 11 oil filter for that motor, and if they make a EaA air filter to fit it, I recommend them.

Also as stated above, since you will be out of warranty, the best bang for the buck is the Amsoil SSO 0W-30. A very robust oil.

Nice car and
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Why run such a thin oil in a hopped up engine in a warmer climate? Why not run a 5w30 or something like that by Amsoil, Redline or Royal Purple?

Given a choice like yours just use the 5w-20.

Last edited:
The viscosity of Amsoil 0W-20 is higher than the viscosity of Amsoil 5W-20. The 0W-20 being a group IV/V flows better in extreme cold. If your engine with mods calls for a 20 either will serve you well.

The other fellows have some good points about stepping up to SSO 0W-30.

You could stick with the Motorcraft filter. With your routine, the EaO won't buy you much.

If you drive hard, error on a 0w-30 or 5w-30. And with the short intervals use a motorcraft filter. The EA011 is a great filter, however it gets far more efficient as it is used (like all oil filters) but this one is even more efficient. When brand new, I would question its overall efficientcy over a standard filter. I think in 1k to 3k intervals a standard filter would be more suitable. In my opinion the EAo11 shines after 5k intervals.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
If you drive hard, error on a 0w-30 or 5w-30. And with the short intervals use a motorcraft filter. The EA011 is a great filter, however it gets far more efficient as it is used (like all oil filters) but this one is even more efficient. When brand new, I would question its overall efficientcy over a standard filter. I think in 1k to 3k intervals a standard filter would be more suitable. In my opinion the EAo11 shines after 5k intervals.

I like Fordiesel69's response, are we saying that the Amsoil EaO-11 could easily go 10,000 to 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: c3po

I like Fordiesel69's response, are we saying that the Amsoil EaO-11 could easily go 10,000 to 15,000 miles.

I would use Amsoil EaO11 filter.

Don't forget that most cellulose media oil filter OEM recommend 6 month change interval, whilst Amsoil recommend 12 month change interval for synthetic media EaO filters. This is down to type of media used and degradation factors.

so if I understand correctly you say el cheapo oil filter with a micron rating of 20/40 micron will be more efficient than A Amsoil EAO filter at 16 micron? under 5000 miles?
I have 5 EAO filters in use right now they all stay on the vehicles till 25,000 miles are up, however many years that takes. What is more efficient than that?

Wow, thanks to you all for these replies!

I am asking about 0W20 as factory and recommended weight for the engine is 5W20. I chose it for that reason. The clearances are so tight on these engines I did not want to "step it up" and have any problems later. I do believe however running a 0W30 would be fine as the supercharged cars (same engine) are recommended to use 5W30.

I was thinking the EAO11 do to it's longevity (time wise; 1 year). I'm concerened about the standard filter, Motorcraft in this case, degrading being on the car for so long which is one reason I want to figure this all out and due it since mine has been on there for some time now. Ford recommends every 3 months of course, but I understand 6 months to be about right and have done changed it every 6 months up until this last time.

Seeing the SSO brought up, what is the difference between the "100% Synthetic" oil and the "Signature Series" oil?

Lastly, would getting an UOA be fine even though the oil has been in the engine with the standard filter for about 8 months now? I'd like to get a base I suppose.

Last edited:
0W-xx does not mean the oil is thinner than 5W-xx. This is a common misconception, but it is wrong.

The 0W vs. 5W number refers to how well the oil flows at extremely cold temperatures. If you are concerned about how "thin" or "thick" the oil is, you have to look at the viscosity (or better yet, HTHS) number at operating temperatures.

The EA011 is a great filter, however it gets far more efficient as it is used (like all oil filters) but this one is even more efficient. When brand new, I would question its overall efficientcy over a standard filter.

On what basis do you make that rather extraordinary claim?

Originally Posted By: roushstage2
Wow, thanks to you all for these replies!

I am asking about 0W20 as factory and recommended weight for the engine is 5W20. I chose it for that reason. The clearances are so tight on these engines I did not want to "step it up" and have any problems later. I do believe however running a 0W30 would be fine as the supercharged cars (same engine) are recommended to use 5W30.

I was thinking the EAO11 do to it's longevity (time wise; 1 year). I'm concerened about the standard filter, Motorcraft in this case, degrading being on the car for so long which is one reason I want to figure this all out and due it since mine has been on there for some time now. Ford recommends every 3 months of course, but I understand 6 months to be about right and have done changed it every 6 months up until this last time.

Seeing the SSO brought up, what is the difference between the "100% Synthetic" oil and the "Signature Series" oil?

Lastly, would getting an UOA be fine even though the oil has been in the engine with the standard filter for about 8 months now? I'd like to get a base I suppose.

If the car was spec'd for a 20 grade oil I would use a 20 grade oil. I prefer the 0W-20 over the 5W20 for the slight advantage it gives during cold starts, or the first start of the day. Save the 30 grade oil for racing, or when the car is old or starts consuming oil. JMO

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
The EA011 is a great filter, however it gets far more efficient as it is used (like all oil filters) but this one is even more efficient. When brand new, I would question its overall efficientcy over a standard filter.

On what basis do you make that rather extraordinary claim?

I would like to know that, as well.

I did some double checking and the supercharged cars are spec'd w30; I'm assuming for the extra heat generated? It gets fairly warm here in California too so the w30 may be a bit better for me anyways. A lot of guys are running w30 and it is also my understanding Ford went to w20 for MPG's, just like some other manufacturer's (I know Dodge in particular). I'm sure I will be safe with the w30, just wanted to double check.

Looks like I'll be going with Amsoil SSO 0W30 and the EAO11 filter.

Not trying to be repetitious, but am wondering if anyone has answers for the last two questions in my previous post?

EDIT: Best place (pricing) to buy all of this online, or perhaps someone on these forums?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back