5w20 to 5w30 with no loss in fuel economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently stopped using Castrol GTX 5w20 in my '02 Ranger since the warranty is almost over at 35,000 miles. I tried Havoline 5w30 which is what I have been using in the wife's Cavalier and I have not lost any fuel economy. In fact, may last 2 tanks have produced 21 mpg and I have never gotten better than that. I can tell no difference in the performace based on the butt dyno. I will do a UOA after the second interval.

mikemc,

If enough other members experience similar situations to yours, might open a hole in the argument that Ford and Honda went to 5W20 purely for CAFE reasons.

Fuel economy using 5w20 is probably not noticable enough...
dunno.gif

offtopic.gif

Jelly, you've got to quit staying up late
So your school work won't deteriorate
But...alas...I guess it is the norm
When you live in a college dorm.

cheers.gif

There's nothing like having a 7meg. internet access
With beer and jello on my desk
As you say though, I'll try to no longer stay up-late
But I'll leave that up to the oil-gods fate...

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
There's nothing like having a 7meg. internet access
With beer and jello on my desk
As you say though, I'll try to no longer stay up-late
But I'll leave that up to the oil-gods fate...

If beer and jello are your typical fare,
You'd better not go anywhere
"Cause the ultimate affect on your digestive tract
Might leave you in a tight...to be exact

I used to run Cross Country and Track
But with high-speed internet and BiTOG, it's something I now lack.
Beer and jello...not typical for the average bear.
All too appetizing though when your too lazy to go shopping for some new and healthy fare.

I hate to jump in and ruin all the fun
So, just let me say one quick thing then I'll run
His gas mileage improved with the Havoline five thirty
That's probably because it sheared so terribly and now it's all dirty

quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:
I hate to jump in and ruin all the fun
So, just let me say one quick thing then I'll run
His gas mileage improved with the Havoline five thirty
That's probably because it sheared so terribly and now it's all dirty

Nah, I track my mileage at every fill-up and it has been giving me good mileage from when I first put it in, only about 1,000 miles on the oil. I have heard that the 5w20 produces a very small increase on one vehicle, but spread out over thousands it helps the auto maker's average and that seems to make sense.

Why would you use a 5w30 that will shear down quickly to a 20 weight? With 1000 miles on it, its probably already a 20 weight. Just keep using the more stable 20 weight.

FWIW I switched the '03 Durango 4.7 from 10W-30 to Delo 400 15W-40 (summertime only) without any change in mileage. Actually seems to get a little better with the truck oil.
cheers.gif

To add some data to the theory, I switched from Mobil 1 5w30 (10 cSt), to GC 0w30 (12 cSt) and my gas milage remained the same or is just a tad better.

quote:

Originally posted by C4Dave:
Why would you use a 5w30 that will shear down quickly to a 20 weight? With 1000 miles on it, its probably already a 20 weight. Just keep using the more stable 20 weight.

Point taken. I guess its because I have used 5w30 for the last 15 years with good results and also I can now buy one oil for both vehicles (Chevy calls for 5w30).

For the 20w conspiracy crowd;

One point we must not miss
lest the new 5w-20s be 'dissed
as minute as it may be
a real benefit one man does see
but only is he's the head of Ford Motor Company

Couldn't resist
grin.gif

Now for the 5w-20 faithful;

As a 30 weight it makes some feel good
thicker, thicker, they chant as the would
but soon their thirty becomes a twenty
what only if ones wife could

No offense to any members of the fairer sex here at BITOG.
cheers.gif

I don't recall but did you do an UOA with the Castrol 5W-20? And if so are you going to do an UOA with the Havoline 5W-30? I assume the Castrol 5W-20 meets the Ford specs. It would be interesting to see if there is any major difference in wear numbers. After all the Ford spec'd 5W-20 has tougher standards to meet.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
I don't recall but did you do an UOA with the Castrol 5W-20? And if so are you going to do an UOA with the Havoline 5W-30? I assume the Castrol 5W-20 meets the Ford specs. It would be interesting to see if there is any major difference in wear numbers. After all the Ford spec'd 5W-20 has tougher standards to meet.

Whimsey

Yessir, it looked ok except for elevated lead which may have been due to my ignorance of adding a fuel system cleaner during the interval
nono.gif
, Blackstone also thought that was the culprit. I will run a UOA after the second interval of Havoline to see how the viscosity holds up.

My money is on mikep's point of view. Given a choice between cheap dino 5w30 or MC 5w20 for an application, I'd go with the MC 5w20.

However, there's cheap dino 10w30s for about a buck/gt that gives it close competition cost/$wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back