5w20 to 5w30 with no loss in fuel economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
My money is on mikep's point of view. Given a choice between cheap dino 5w30 or MC 5w20 for an application, I'd go with the MC 5w20.

However, there's cheap dino 10w30s for about a buck/gt that gives it close competition cost/$wise.

Good point. Now that the warranty is almost gone in my Ranger, I can start having some real fun
freak2.gif
experimenting with different weights backed by uoa's. One thought is eventually to see what happens if I use MC or Havoline 10w30 for most of the year and MC 5w20 for a winter oil.

Pumping oil around in an engine is not high on the list of work the fuel has to do. It pales compared to the heat given off by the brakes, pushing aside the wind, rolling the tires, and what's dumped out the radiator and exhaust.

It is easy for some small changes to get lost in the noise. One sudden yellow traffic light and 60 MPH stop is likely to blow off more energy than the effect of a reasonable oil on the MPG of a tank.

It is possible to see significant gains by sweating a lot of small details. Oil viscosity within reason, correct tire pressure, don't haul around keg in trunk, anticipate and coast to stops if possible (the last one is pretty big).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back