5w20 synthetic oil in 2002 honda civic ex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ppl, i just bought my honda civic ex about a month ago, and it now has about 1100 miles on it. I think im gonna let the dealer change my oil around 3000(even though its 5000 every oil change) because i get a free oil change, then im gonna switch to synthetic at about 7000 miles or so. Anyways, what brand do you recommend for synthetic bc i can't seem to find many besides amsoil that makes a good synthetic to last 5000 miles between oil changes(ill also be using a mobil 1 oil filter)

Mobil 1 is supposedly coming out with a 5w20 oil (yet again) but until then, I believe Amsoil is the only one commonly available (although it's not a true synthetic, it uses a group 3 base oil now)

[ October 10, 2002, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

The factory-fill oil in your car is special break-in oil and Honda recommends that you keep it in for at least 5,000mi. The 5w-20 that's in there now will easily go 5,000 mi. It's very good oil. There's an analysis of it posted here.

I would go with a thin 5w-30 rather than a 5w-20 if you want a group IV and V synthetic. Mobil 1 5w-30 is almost 20 weight right out of the bottle. If you absolutely have to have 5w-20 you can get the Amsoil XL7500 but it's not as good as Mobil 1 and more expensive. Torco, Synergyn, and Royal Purple also make 0w-20 or 5w-20 oils that have group IV and V basestocks.

I saw just last night where Motul is recommending their 0/30 6100 series oil in Europe for that car while "under warranty". Read into to that!
smile.gif

Jay -

While the longest manufacturer recommendation is "7500 miles/6 months" (Lexus), I've only gone 2000 miles in 8 months. What would you do...
a) Change based on the oil being too old?
b) or leave it in until at least 5000 miles so the engine can be properly broken in with the break-in oil.

Isn't there a "rule of thumb" that after you buy a new car you're supposed to change the oil after 500 miles to flush all the tiny metal bits and filings that "happen" when putting together a new engine?
dunno.gif
When I bought my truck, I THINK the Toy dealer told me to do this. Could be wrong. Been a while.
grin.gif

Most manufacturers won't tell you to change the oil at 500 miles on a new engine, but I have always done that. Better to be safe than sorry. I don't think any of the cars I bought new used break in oils anyways (mostly GM cars, other than my wife's 2000 Civic)

the special break-in additive is "lots of moly" in Honda factory fill oils, their factory fill wears pretty good from what we've seen in the one analysis by Jay. I don't trust using 5w-20 after that, as I'm afraid of it shearing down to a 10 weight once you start using off-the-shelf oil. I swapped mine out at 1500 miles and went to a 5w-30 weight.

quote:

Originally posted by kreativ:
Jay -

While the longest manufacturer recommendation is "7500 miles/6 months" (Lexus), I've only gone 2000 miles in 8 months. What would you do...
a) Change based on the oil being too old?
b) or leave it in until at least 5000 miles so the engine can be properly broken in with the break-in oil.

Good question. I don't know. It seems that a 6-month change interval is extremely conservative to me. I would call Lexus and ask them. I'd be interested in their answer.

quote:

Originally posted by JSIR:
the special break-in additive is "lots of moly" in Honda factory fill oils, their factory fill wears pretty good from what we've seen in the one analysis by Jay. I don't trust using 5w-20 after that, as I'm afraid of it shearing down to a 10 weight once you start using off-the-shelf oil. I swapped mine out at 1500 miles and went to a 5w-30 weight.

I've seen a few factory fill oils using moly in there, doesn't this go against normal reason though? Moly reduces friction, so it would then take longer for the break in to occur. I'm confused.
confused.gif

Patman,

These 5w-20, factory fill oils from Japan are primarily using moly as a friction modifier to achieve better fuel efficiency. One SAE paper published by Honda showed about a 1.5% efficiency gain with a 0w-20 formulated with moly, compared to a 5w-30 without moly. You will also see boron being used for the same reason ....

The primary antiwear additives in ANY oil are still zinc and phosphorus. You can't formulate an engine oil without ZDDP - it would wear out very rapidly.

There was an ocean of ink spilled in the clubrsx forum over the Honda break-in oil. What was in it to make it break-in oil? How important is it to keep it in the recommended interval? etc. I think we've established that it has a ton of moly. Perhaps Honda's aim was to keep friction low and thus heat low during break in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back