5w20 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running 5w30 in the '08 Kia Spectra 2.0 even those it calls for 5w20. I'm just one of those people who uses 5w30 in my 5w20 engines for some reason (still gives me some piece of mind?)

Anyway,I think I am going to make the plunge and put it on the 5w20 for a little bit and see how she does. Now, I'm trying not to make this an "which oil is the best" question, but I rarely follow any of the 5w20 threads because I don't use it. But any preference to what I should use (I know I am going to get a ton of PP responses, I think I tend to dislike the oil because of all the hype lol)

Anyway, here are my options

Amsoil XL-7500
Penn Ultra
Mobil 1
Penn Plat

I'm leaning towards the Amsoil XL oil, mainly because we used to see a lot of it at a shop I was at, and I used to run Amsoil in everything, but got lazy about taking the extra effort to purchase it.

I use PP. PU, Edge, M1 are all good oils. I will be making the change from ASM to Edge 0W20 shortly. If you are spending the money for a Synthetic oil consider a 0W20, especially for cold winter starts. M1 and Edge are sold in many AAP stores, and can be had on specials with a top quality filter. JMO

Like demarpaint, I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in our VUE since the factory fill came out. I've read a number of posts lately where folks like the Castrol EDGE xW-20, so I may try the 0W-20 next. But I'm only 10% into the current OCI so who knows what I'll be thinking come December. But since I live in Southeast Mighigan, it'll be winter, and my wife does a number of short trips with the VUE, the EDGE 0W-20 might be a good one for me to try.

I'd try to PP 0w20, do you know if they carry it in jugs at Walmart, or only 5w20? I ran two changes of Edge in my other car, and lead jumped up very high, and iron went up also, so at the moment I'm not too keen on the Edge.

Amsoil XL is an excellent oil. If you have 'easy' access to it, that's what I'd run. Shows great results all the time.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I'd try to PP 0w20, do you know if they carry it in jugs at Walmart, or only 5w20? I ran two changes of Edge in my other car, and lead jumped up very high, and iron went up also, so at the moment I'm not too keen on the Edge.

Two reasons I like Edge 0W20, over the PP in 0W20. 1. Edge is available, at AAP and they run it on special. I have never seen PP 0W20 in any store I shop at, I only saw it online. That kills the price. 2. The specs IMO of Edge 0W20 are better than PP. Now if Pennzoil gets their act together and starts making PU in 0W20 I'll take a long hard look. JMO

If I'm going to buy a synthetic oil in a 20 grade for the same price as 5W20 I can run a 0W20, I'll take the 0W20 every time for my 20 grade application. Again JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If I'm going to buy a synthetic oil in a 20 grade for the same price as 5W20 I can run a 0W20, I'll take the 0W20 every time for my 20 grade application.

Curious... why so exactly? Would you think any differently for a 30 grade?

I currently own two Hyundai vehicles and am using 5W20 synthetic. Also ran 5W20 in the previous 2 Hyundai vehicles that we owned. As Hyundai owns KIA, assume they use the same engines.

Even though I live only a few miles from the Florida line and we have rather hot summers, would run 0W20 here too if I could find it. Why Pennzoil marketing folks don't make it more available is anyone's guess?

I figured someone would ask. My 30 grade application is old, and from what RL, Pennzoil, and Mobil told me the 0w-xx oils are a little more prone to leaking, in a questionable vehicle. The vehicle in question leaks a little so I won't tempt fate.

As soon as I can grab something off the shelf in 0W30 other than M1 I will be switching my E-150 over to it. That's once my stash of 5W30 is gone.

I've had 2 Kia's (again, owned by Hyundai) and neither manual "spec'd" a 0W-X oil...

Sure, you may be able to run it, but you'd be voiding the warranty.

Since you are in the north (michigan) - the cold starts would be a great help having the 0W I'm sure, but that's up to you, if you want to stray from the manual/specs.

Personally, both my Optima and Rio spec'd 5-20 per the oil cap BUT, the one time I brought it to the dealer, they said they were using Pennzoil 5-30....said it wouldn't be a problem for the vehicle at all; just a little heavier when it's warmed up; which I guess amounts to more "protection" from the thicker oil.

Since you mentioned AMSOIL - why not Royal Purple? :) It too is one of the higher priced "boutique oils" and at least at my WM, they stock the 10-30 and 5-30 on the shelf, for a pretty penny, 9.56/qt if I recall - and no worry about shipping and handling costs.

But just check your manual and make sure the ILSAC/GF/API specs match what's required for the vehicle.

Last edited:
Call Kia and ask, they might allow you to use a 0W20 in place of a 5W20. Most companies spec 5W20 because it doesn't have to be a synthetic oil. All 0W20 oils are synthetic and cost more than a 5W20 dino oil, which is why I was told 5W20 is suggested. It can vary with auto mfgs though.

Using 0w20 or 5w30 or whatever you want to use is not going to void your warranty. I have Nissan engine failures all the time, and because they are all over $4000 repairs I have to call into nissan for prior authorization. Once I start a claim, I then need to email them pictures of the engine to and give them my opinion if the engine looks like it has been maintained properly. It would be pretty darn near impossible to have oil be the cause of the failure. More than anything I see sludged up engines from people who do not change their oil frequently enough. I currently have an 09 Maxima 3.5l engine with 26k on it, and it is very sludged, Nissan denied the claim even though the customer supplied me with so called oil change recieipts (they were somewhat questionable) but it came down to the fact that there is no way that the engine would look the way it does if they changed their oil as often as they claimed. I'll post some pictures of it here. But even some of the engines that I have go bad (mr engines) even if the engine is not sludged, Nissan tech line tells me regardless of what someone says, or an oil claims, or even the manual. If the the oil is not changed every 3750 they constantly see problems with the oil rings in cyl 3 or 4 slicking and causes lack of compression, and also causes lack of lubrication and end's up killing the engine. As long as the engine "looks" like it has been maintained they have covered all of those claims. Never once have they asked about oil weight, brand, filters, etc. The main question every time is "Does the engine look clean? do they have maint receipts, and what is the cause of failure is. Find someone to tear down and engine and show me how the cause of failure was using a 0w-xx or 5w20/5w30. I don't think it will happen.

Keep the oil level correct, change it frequently, and you are fine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I figured someone would ask. My 30 grade application is old, and from what RL, Pennzoil, and Mobil told me the 0w-xx oils are a little more prone to leaking, in a questionable vehicle. The vehicle in question leaks a little so I won't tempt fate.

As soon as I can grab something off the shelf in 0W30 other than M1 I will be switching my E-150 over to it. That's once my stash of 5W30 is gone.
Wouldn't GC fit that bill? Most AZ stores carry it along with all the other Syntec, and as of late, it appears that Pep Boys is carrying it too.

Yes, it would. I don't shop PB or AZ as they are not close to me, and I never gave it much thought. It is certainly worth considering though!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What will be your oil change intervals?

I had been running about 4-4.5k intervals on the Kia. I know some people would say use a conventional oil, but I'd rather run the syn, just personal preference.

Redline makes the best 5w20 IMHO and I would run that in a heartbeat if it was cheaper. My vehicle calls for 5w20 as well, but Chrysler Canada have sent a letter stating 5w30 is fine in the 2.4L World engines. Good thing as our Walmarts have PP 5w30 on for $19 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back