5W20 Not Required for Warranty Coverage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had had a long talk with my dealers Service Representive and the Regional Warranty Representitive (The guy that decides what gets paid) at my local Ford Dealer about effect of different oil and OCI on warranty.

1. Official Response - Ford recommends 5W20 in your car. Ford recommends 5000 ML changes for most owners.

2. Unofficial Response - Unless you have a obvious oil related failure ie oil is a 5 Weight @ 100C or 70 Weight @ 0C which led directly to a component failure we will not void warranty because of oil.
Basically they have no problem with anything from 0W20 - 20W60 as long as ambient temperatures are within reason. As long as the car does not have obvious signs of maintenance neglect (Major Sludge and/or Acid Damage) they will not ask for proof of OCI or UOA.

Of course since my dealer is also a Saleen Dealer they may be a bit more knowledgeable than most.

Gene

Well I guess I just wanted a little reassurance that a automatic fail isnt going to occur if I decide to go with a non-5W20 oil and a engine problem occurs whil in warranty.

It is interesting that the SVT version of the Zetec recommends 5W-30, the European Zetec 0W-30 and the Australian version 10W30. After a little research it appears we get CAFE oils, Australians mainly use Dinos and Europeans at least Group III.

This to means:

Ultimate MPG = 5W20
Synthetic Blend for 5000 ml changes

Durability and Higher Temps = 10W30
Dino for 6200 ml changes
API SL Synthetic for 9300 ml changes

Durability, MPG, Extended Drain, and Wide Temperature range = 0W30
Synthetic ACEA A3/B4

Just my opinion, that and a buck will buy you a cup of coffee.

Gene

What is this with everyone writing 5000ML changes or 6000ML changes? Do you mean 5000KM? 5000ML = 5 liters last time I checked.
Not sure what you guys mean.

You are free to use any viscosity and brand motor oil you want. Three new Ford product owners manual I've looked at in the last 2 years specifically state "recommended", not required.

I have a Mazda MPV and it has the 3.0l V6 Duratec that uses 5w20. On the MPV forum someone posted a TSB that states that 5w30 can be used without hurting the warranty. I currently run M1 0w20. I may do a UOA on this next batch just to see how it's doing. The van will have 25,000 miles with about 5500 on the oil. I don't think anyone running 5w30 will have to worry about warranty problems.

offtopic.gif
The ML thing is just something this author appears to use. I'm pretty sure he means "mile" or "miles". I personally dislike the usage. I type out miles, or use KM, NEVER K for KM
offtopic.gif

As for this topic...the obvious really is:

"As long as the car does not have obvious signs of maintenance neglect (Major Sludge and/or Acid Damage) they will not ask for proof of OCI or UOA."

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
It is interesting that the SVT version of the Zetec recommends 5W-30, the European Zetec 0W-30 and the Australian version 10W30.

Is 5w20 available in Europe or Australia? Maybe that's why 20 weights are not recommended over there.

I think glxpassat said it best -- "get it in writing!" In the worst case scenario, if your engine develops oil-related problems, and the dealer finds you used something other than the recommended oil, they will deny anything they told you (unless you have a witness who will sign an affadavit) and do anything to get out of footing the bill for the problem.

I've seen how auto manufacturers play dirty. They have no morals or scruples. The only thing that matters is what's in writing.

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
You are free to use any viscosity and brand motor oil you want. Three new Ford product owners manual I've looked at in the last 2 years specifically state "recommended", not required.

While Ford "recommends" 5W-20 it does say "Use Motorcraft or an equivalent oil MEETING Ford's specification WSS-M2C153-H". Their "lawyerly" statement seems to say, fine you can use any oil as long as it meets our specification WSS-M2C153-H. Also the oil must be API certified. It really comes down to the dealer/Ford rep at THAT particular time approving or disapproving your warranty claim. While my dealer said that when there is an engine warranty claim they look to see if "proper oil maintenance has been done". Such as is there sludge or is the oil really skanky. They will ask for oil change records also if it appears that there was neglect but the oil in the crankcase looks "new"
rolleyes.gif
. But when I asked the service manager to give me a written ok to use Mobil 1 5W-30 he refused and said they have to follow Ford's guidelines. So basically you are at their mercy at the time of the warranty claim. Roll the dice and take your chances.

Whimsey

[ June 22, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Whimsey ]

quote:

Originally posted by John in the ATL:
Gene K,

offtopic.gif
Is the Ford Dealer Joe Sartain?

Dont really want to identify the dealer by name on a public forum as the response was unofficial. But I will say they have been more than fair with the Mustang guys and their mods. They seem to be very good about living up to the Magnusson-Moss act in both wording and spirit. They also sponsor a NMRA racer.

If Ford would offer any test evidence or give any reason why 0W-30 / 5W-30W / 10W-30 is bad for the car I would be more inclined to use 5W-20. I dont think I should be forced to use 5W-20 just because Ford is faced by extortion from the US Goverment. They are FORBIDDEN from mentioning any grade of oil in the owners manual unless it is 5W-20 or lower.

I think Ford has gone the extra mile to minimize the drawbacks to using 5W-20 with their spec but I still in my heart have a bias that says minimize is not eliminate. I really have to prove to myself that the wear metals are lower with Motocraft 5W-20 than with German Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

Not once in any Ford or Conoco release I have seen has it said that 5W-20 will result in less wear or protect better than 5W-30 although I would pick MC 5W-20 over most Dino 5W-30 because I dont like the designed in shearing.

If the reason that 5W-20 is not specified in other markets is availability why would their drain intervals be 46-125% longer than ours? This to me says the other oils at least hold up better.

Am I wrong in remembering that Fords US service interval used to be longer than 5000 mi in the days of 10W-30?

I dont really think 5W-20 is bad. I just think for my climate I can do better.

Sorry about the ML... Corect abbreviation is mi...

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:

Am I wrong in remembering that Fords US service interval used to be longer than 5000 mi in the days of 10W-30?

I dont really think 5W-20 is bad. I just think for my climate I can do better.

Sorry about the ML... Corect abbreviation is mi...

Gene

I had a new in 1989 F-150 that "recommended" 10W-30 dino oil and the oil change interval was 5,000 miles. So 15 years later Ford's OCI is still the same even with 5W-20 oils. As far as doing better with your climate maybe you should try Mobil 1 0W-20 if you want a synthetic. This oil appears to out perform Mobil 1 5W-30 in engines that recommend 5W-20 oil. It seems to be a better constructed oil at the same price as the 5&10W-30's. Contrary to popular believe, "thickerer" is not always better when it comes to oil.

Whimsey

lol.gif
@ GeneK

You don't want to ID the dealer by name, but you gave enough clues that even I could figure out who he was, and I'm in Texas.

Local Ford Dealer
Decatur AL
NMRA sponsor
Saleen Dealer

banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rbraughn:
lol.gif
@ GeneK

You don't want to ID the dealer by name, but you gave enough clues that even I could figure out who he was, and I'm in Texas.

Local Ford Dealer
Decatur AL
NMRA sponsor
Saleen Dealer

banghead.gif

Depends on your definition of local... Same Zip Code, Same City, Same County, Same State, Same Country, Same Continent, Same Hemisphere, Same Planet, Same Solar System, Same Galaxy, Same Dimension, Same Universe? Lots of ways to define local...

Just depends on how exceptional a person I am ie not normal...

Gene

[ June 22, 2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

quote:

Depends on your definition of local... Same Zip Code, Same City, Same County, Same State, Same Country, Same Continent, Same Hemisphere, Same Planet, Same Solar System, Same Galaxy, Same Dimension, Same Universe? Lots of ways to define local...

Gene [/QB]

You forgot same reality.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GeneK:

cheers.gif
Nice try
wink.gif

[ June 22, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: rbraughn ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back