5w20 in 400 Hp turbo mr2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that I have to say is good luck. I hope your engine survives.

crushedcar.gif

im more concerned about the bearings im putting in.

i was unable to get my typical tri metal bearings, i had to settle for bi-metal alluminium bearings, hopefully they dont squish. some people say they are softer some says they hold up much better

any input?

I've got a turbo 5M supra. broke it in with 10/30 Valvoline. I've got 15w-40 Rotella in it now, but the next change I'll be going to 15-40 Delo b/c it's 4% thinner and a lot of people say it's better than shell.

thank you, too many dino haters here.

honestly modern hd dino is right up next to synthetic.

u know delo400's flashpoint is higher than mobil1
right!

my oil actually has a easy job. it is well cooled and it is moved alot.

im just concerned about shearing strength.

so let me get this right by running dino its going to blow up right?

and miracle synthetic will make it work like its unbreakable.

yeh im no longer going to be using it

i bought 3 gallons of delo 400 15w40

what you think?

Never heard a bad word about delo 400.
May I make a suggestion or two?
First, Lube Control should help keep even slightly sludged oil flowing, and you can get 75K or more out of one $33 gallon of the stuff.
Second, 15W40 is a good choice. Another choice for high flash points would be straight 30 weight or straight 40 weight. If anything, the straight weights are more stable than the 15W.

Sounds like you already had your mind made up about using an hdeo. Since you "know" modern hd is right next to synthetic and that it has a higher flashpoint than Mobil1 and under no circumstances would you consider using synthetic why would you even ask for advice and then make fun of the responses? You just wasted a lot of peoples time.

quote:

Originally posted by crunchtime2k:

u know delo400's flashpoint is higher than mobil1
right!

my oil actually has a easy job. it is well cooled and it is moved alot.

im just concerned about shearing strength.

so let me get this right by running dino its going to blow up right?

and miracle synthetic will make it work like its unbreakable.

Ugh you're ignorant.

Sorry.

point is delo and synthetic will both work fine.

[ April 06, 2006, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

Originally posted by crunchtime2k:

Right up there next to synthetic if you plan to dump your oil every month whether it needs it or not. Start extending your drain interval and that is where most synthetics will outperform and become cost competitive. Synthetic have their place.

How do you plan to use the car? Will it be raced or driven hard on the street? You need to be looking at an oil with high ZDDP additives IMHO if you plan to drive it hard.

I am not sure why one would want to go to all the bother. Sludging is almost a total non issue. I run 25,000 mile OCI's with a turbo. Jetta TDI.
cheers.gif
Again I use Mobil One T&S 5w40 aka Delvac One 5w40. It has app 71,000 miles.

[ April 06, 2006, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:

quote:

You just wasted a lot of peoples time.

Isnt that what BITOG is all about?
smile.gif

You've got a point sir.
cheers.gif
I just don't understand asking for advice and getting some useful ideas from people with real world experience and then blowing them off. I have a sneaking suspicion crunchtime is about to become a shortimer.
wink.gif

well fellow people

i didnt waste ANYONES time

i had my time wasted from my first post

i clearly stated NO SYNTHETICS

and all you guys have been posting is synthetic recommendations

which has wasted my time.

!

If you insist on a non-synthetic, why not try some of Schaeffer's great "engineered" dino oils?? I believe they are still less $$ than the least costly synthetics (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and in some cases better products. I would not put off the shelf dino in a highly stressed motor like that, even with weekly OCIs!! Besides, knowing the mentality behind those with small displacement, high boost engines, you will keep upping the boost level to try and get more "dyno racing" peak power numbers from that thing. That would be REAL expensive with that setup, on OTS dino oil!!!
shocked.gif

If you are going to insist on dino 5W-20 in a turbo 400hp engine, why don't continue on with this logic and find some bias ply tires as well. If you think that a visual check after 100 miles means that every thing is A-OK, then I think you should keep on. Good luck.
crushedcar.gif

Even though this is BITOG you guys are not being very logical here. There have been many many turbo motors mfg where synthetic oil was required or even recommended. The only difference from the mfg recommendation was that if you have a turbo you qualify for severe service, so you need to change your oil at approx 3700 mi. His engine will be FINE with dino oil.

This is just another form of the short OCI dino vs Longer OCI synth debate. Either way your engine will be fine. He wants to change oil frequently so he wants a dino.

The Delo is a good choice as long as he is not doing a lot of cold starts in a cold climate. Since he will ussually be beating the cr@p out of this engine, the oil will be warm, so the Delo will be great.

Come on guys. Turbos do not REQUIRE synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back