Not open for further replies.
guys am i crazy for putting mobil clean 5000 5w20 in my brand new motor

3sgte 2.0 liter turbo 4 cylinder

water and oil cooler turbo
with oil to water oil cooler.
180 degree thermostat

20 PSI boost

about 400 hp on the dyno

Im thinking about switching since i have alot of valve noise.

what do you guys think of Delo 400 15w40

what do you guys recommend

NO SYNTHETICS

dino only

I second AndyH's question. With a motor like that, I'd use a top of the line synthetic like GC or Redline.

With a turbo the best is to follow what the builder or oem recommends. To my knowledge 5w20 is not speced for turbo applications. Lubricating a turbo is tough enough, but when you use a motor oil that is not speced specifically for it, you are in effect asking for self warranty. So for example I have a turbo TDI and use Mobil One Truck & SUV 5w40. I also use 5w20 and 0w20 and it runs like a proverbial top, but in a non turbo Honda Civic.

synthetics dont warrant their cost, and i change oil every month regardless of milege,

and its gonna be on breakin for a while

how do you guys feel about 15w40 delo400

If you spent so much $$$$ on this engine, why do you want to run dino oil?
confused.gif
dunno.gif

If this was my car I would use Mobil 1, Amsoil, GC or Redline.

I would use a 50/50 mix of Delo & Synthetic oil.

quote:

Originally posted by crunchtime2k:
synthetics dont warrant their cost, and i change oil every month regardless of milege

Total waste of oil. You could run synthetic all year long or change every six months and still be ahead money wise. If you insist on dumping perfectly good oil every month any 10w-30 will do. Just close your eyes and pick one.

I don't have a turbo, but um, correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't synthetic, like, REQUIRED in a turbo? Doesn't dino + turbo = sludge? Like I said, please correct me if I'm wrong. Seems almost like trying to run dino in a Dragster lol...

Open owners manual. Look up "oil".Use what the manual recomends.Or, look on the filler cap. Use what the filler cap says.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
I don't have a turbo, but um, correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't synthetic, like, REQUIRED in a turbo? Doesn't dino + turbo = sludge? Like I said, please correct me if I'm wrong. Seems almost like trying to run dino in a Dragster lol...

nothing wrong with running dino in a dragster. a lot of times alky is used as a fuel. alky = a lot of washdown. when we get our alky setup going again it gets 10w30 dino and it will get changed every weekend.

either way. a turbo engine should get a synthetic oil. turbos get really hot which kills oil. i think 5w20 is too thin for a turbo motor. dodge switched nearly everything to 5w20 for the 2005 model year, but the SRT-4 (turbo 2.4L, 245hp) still gets 5w30.

quote:

synthetics dont warrant their cost, and i change oil every month regardless of milege,

You can't be serious
pat.gif

Dino is fine for break-in, but that doesn't need to be very long. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm A Google search will find a good number of shops selling rebuilt motors that recommend a similar procedure.

Try some Platinum 10W-30 in that MR2. It's a full synthetic but don't cost as much as other syns do. A lot of guys here on BITOG say it's good stuff.
cool.gif

quote:

how do you guys feel about 15w40 delo400

You're trying to coke your turbo bearings on purpose? Not only are you foolish enough to insist on conventional oil but you're also trying to use the thinnest one available.
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Open owners manual. Look up "oil".Use what the manual recomends.Or, look on the filler cap. Use what the filler cap says.

I think the issue is that he has a heavily modified engine installed. There isn't likely an owner's manual recommendation for a motor that is putting out over 200% of stock power.

Still keeping with the original thread I would concur with the general thought that 5w20 Dino oil changed monthly regardless of mileage in a turbo motor running 20 psi boost is nutty. I doubt that you will experience severe coking given the aggressive OCI schedule, but i would think that a less frequent OCI using a thicker synthetic would be better all round.

just to let you guys know

ive put 100 miles on it at 20 psi on a road dyno

5 miles running full boost in 4th gear at 5400 rpm

on mobil clean 5000 5w20

and i opened up the bottom end

my bearings are in mint condition, if you guys would like photos i can take some.

im not to worried about coking the oil in the turbo since it is aggresivly cooled with a high flow of water

my oil temps never got above 214 F on the 5 mile run, i would have kept going but the dyno itself started to overheat and had to stop.

my honest feeling is delo400 provides better protection than the new mobil1 SM

delo400 is still SL rated due to the high zinc and phosphor.

and its actually 482 hp @ 5900

The turbo will not be cooking your oil as long as you have cooling from water and oil. It's when you stop your engine cooking can occur. Does the engine have 'after cooling circuit' with timer/temperature sensor?
Delo is probably a better choice than Mobil (5W20) for your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back