5w20 Debate - Oil provides protection for 276K KM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would post some real world experience with the 5w20 oils for all the naysayers out there that say a 20wt won't provide protection.

My dad just inherited a 2000 Ford Windstar from our neighbour with a 3.8 Litre engine and it has 276K KM (172K Miles) on it.

It consumes no oil and the engine is in perfect running order. It passed the emission tests with flying colours.

It has had 5w20 Motor Craft oil all it's life and has seen 10K KM (6K Miles) OCI's religiously.

It was given to my dad for some work that my dad did for him for free and because the van needs some other repairs like brakes, tires, exhaust etc...

Good to know. I'm runnin it in my Stang.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not in any way saying 5W-20 is no good, but I reckon climate has a huge role to play as well. It will work well in colder climates, but I somehow can't see anything thinner than 30 weight doing very well in warmer climates such as ours. Just my view on the subject.
55.gif

The first viscosity Mobil 1 was a 5w20. Most conventional 5w30's shear to a 5w20 and have so for years.

There is no one size fits all viscosity. It depends on a lot of things.

We get hot summer weather, not Texas or Kuwait hot, but over 100oF (38oC) some of the time, and this van would have seen that with a 20 weight oil...

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: adibigs
What year and model Hyundai your running.

'06 Santa Fe with a 2.7 Litre V6. Says to use 5w20 in the owners manual and on the oil cap, but the technical manual says 5w30 below freezing and 10w30 up to 100oF and 40/50 weight if hotter.

My service manual states the use of 5w20 and 10w30, I have used both with no problems- the 5w20 I run is either MOBIL clean 5000 or QS greenbottle, the 10w30 was wolfshead that I picked up cheap 12qt case.

My father has a 2007 santa fe GLS V6 I was amazed to find in the hyundai tech bulletin that motor can run 15w40 and 20w50 in extreme hot weather, the motor is also used in arabic countries thats why.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
We get very hot summers, not Texas or Kuwait hot, but over 100oF (38oC) and this van would have seen that with a 20 weight oil...

grin2.gif

That's a reasonable temperature range, I would say. Would be interesting to see how it withstands temperatures of 50+ C. Over here, you're looking at a range of 45-60+ C in summer. Would be interesting to hear from anybody in places like Texas, Arizona or New Mexico who've used 5W-20 for 250k+ km.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: adibigs
My father has a 2007 santa fe GLS V6 I was amazed to find in the hyundai tech bulletin that motor can run 15w40 and 20w50 in extreme hot weather, the motor is also used in arabic countries thats why.

As far as conventional oils are concerned, many Far Eastern manufacturers often recommend 15W-40 in the Middle East and 20W-50 for severe service. Nissan are a bit odd, recommending 5W-30 in their service/owner's manuals, but supplying their own Nissan branded 20W-50 (UAE sourced). Toyota also supplies its own 20W-50 (also UAE sourced). Mitsubishi supplies their own 15W-40 oil sourced from Thailand, and unless the vehicle sees exceptionally severe use, recommend nothing thicker.

As far as synthetic is concerned, it's usually 5W-40. Lexus has its own brand 5W-40 full synthetic sourced from the UAE (Group III). German brands usually suggest 0W-40 or 5W-40. American manufacturers often side with a 10W-30 oil. ACDelco, Motorcraft and Mopar all supply their own 10W-30. ACDelco also supplies a 20W-50, which some people also use.

Just thought I would post some real world experience with the 5w20 oils for all the naysayers out there that say a 20wt won't provide protection.

My dad just inherited a 2000 Ford Windstar from our neighbour with a 3.8 Litre engine and it has 276K KM (172K Miles) on it.

It consumes no oil and the engine is in perfect running order. It passed the emission tests with flying colours.

It has had 5w20 Motor Craft oil all it's life and has seen 10K KM (6K Miles) OCI's religiously.

It was given to my dad for some work that my dad did for him for free and because the van needs some other repairs like brakes, tires, exhaust etc...

Doesn't mean it wouldn't ultimately last longer with 5W-30 or thicker.
wink.gif

Wow 45-60+ ????

Too Hot for me!
crazy2.gif

Start a cold engine at 12 noon, and it takes literally a minute (sometimes less!) for it to reach operating temperature.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Doesn't mean it wouldn't ultimately last longer with 5W-30 or thicker.
wink.gif

No but it proves that 5w20 doesn't destroy engines as some make it out to.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Start a cold engine at 12 noon, and it takes literally a minute (sometimes less!) for it to reach operating temperature.
33.gif

+1
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back