5w20 blend or 0w-20 Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have flip flopped several times.5w-20,5w-30 GC30, 5w-20 again.

I bought the extended Ford ESP that will bring me out to 6 year 75,000, and have decided to be warranty compliant again, so my question to you is this:

5w-20 syn blend or 0w-20 M1. I will change at 3000 miles. Those are the only 2 warranty compliant choices I have I believe(at least that are readily available).

I have the 4.6l Ford Supercrew 30,000 miles, with a Superchip tuner, and exhaust (also very mild piston slap when cold). I run it hard now and then and live in a climate that still hasn't dipped below 40 F (today it was in the 70's). I make mostly short daily trips to work (6 miles each way) and hit the highway for short runs a couple times a month.

I know 3000 OCI isn't cost effective with the M1, And I am ok with the money issue, I just want the best protection for my engine for my driving conditions.

Go with the m1. I run it in my honda, cept i drain at 5000 rather than 3000. In all honesty, you can go with the motorcraft as well, but I think the m1 is a more shear stable oil and a true syn.

If it was in the 70's today you must be south of me. Anyway I think Mobil 1 would be a waste of money with 3K oil change intervals. I would go with Pennzoil, Chevron, or the Motorcraft 5W-20's.
I use Pennzoil 5W-20 myself in my 02 Accord and have had good results with 3K intervals. If I was going to use M1 I would go 5K. Just my opinion

For 3,000 mile intervals, good UOAs and unquestionable warranty support I would use Motorcraft 5W-20 as long as you can get it.

If you choose to use something other than Motorcraft oil, be watchful. I noticed that some of the 5W-20 dino oils do NOT list themselves as passing the Ford WSS-M2C153-H specification. Double check before using to see that they specifically call out this spec on the bottle. I don't recall now which major brand dino oils lacked this declaration, but I recall that in some cases the straight dino oil didn't mention WSS-M2C153-H while the synthetic blend oil from the same brand did.

Motorcraft 5W-20 is a synthetic blend, which is why many retailers charge more for it that for Motorcraft 10W-30.

John

Between the M1 0w20 and Motorcraft, Castrol or Pennzoil 5w20's, I don't think you can make a bad decision. Just decide which drain interval you're more comfortable with and base it on that (M1 for a longer interval).

I too think using M1 with 3K mile OCI is a waste of money. The Motorcraft 5w-20 blend or Pennzoil 5w-20 may be your best choice. The Pennzoil is a GII+ / GIII mix and both have yielded very good reports from UOA here and seem to be very shear stable.

Mikep

rbraughn said "I have the 4.6l Ford Supercrew 30,000 miles, with a Superchip tuner, and exhaust..."

If warranty issues come up the superchip will be a bigger problem than which oil is in the sump.

Ray
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by V10Ray:
rbraughn said "I have the 4.6l Ford Supercrew 30,000 miles, with a Superchip tuner, and exhaust..."

If warranty issues come up the superchip will be a bigger problem than which oil is in the sump.

Ray
banghead.gif

Good point!

V10Ray makes a valid point. Changing the oil would be a lot easier than changing the exhaust.

My vote is for the M1 0w-20. I've finally converted, and can't wait to get my first UOA done.
fruit.gif

Thanks for the replies .

As for the Superchips, it is the Tuner, not a chip, so I have not scraped any terminals leaving the tell tale signs. I can simply load the stock program back, no problems. Also the exhaust is a cat back si/so Magnaflow. should not have any warranty concerns there either.

I want the Ford spec'd oil, so I can provide proper documentation of when I buy oil....Yeah I know I can buy some, copy the receipts and return it for 10w-30 etc, But that is a PITA

The m1 0w20 is good, maybe too good. For a 3k OCI the pennzoil is perfect. For your OCI other good choices are Havoline and Motorcraft. I think the difference in performace in the 5w20 dinos for that OCI is negligible.

regards.

r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back