5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic for long interstate trip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take advantage of the slight fuel economy benefit and run 5W20 in either flavor. Highway miles are easy on an engine.
In the FWIW Dept, I've used EP 0W-20 and EP 5W-30 and found no measurable difference in mileage. As is often said, YMMV. My personal choice would be the 5W-30 as it has a somewhat higher Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C than the 10W-30 (according to the M1 data sheets).

In the FWIW Dept, I've used EP 0W-20 and EP 5W-30 and found no measurable difference in mileage. As is often said, YMMV. My personal choice would be the 5W-30 as it has a somewhat higher Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C than the 10W-30 (according to the M1 data sheets).
If you want thick 10w-30 go with M1 HM 10w-30. 12cst @100C and HTHS of 3.5

I’d use 10W-30.
It’s allowed, and Hyundai’s are having engine ‘issues’, so the extra bit of protection would give me peace of mind.

If you are taking I-10, I-20, or I-40, a large portion of the trip will be @ 75mph, and a few hundred of 80mph speed limits in Texas if you take I-10 or I-20.
And depending on exactly when you leave, temps can be in the 90-100°F range, so make sure your cooling system is working well.

My personal preference for Hyundai/Kia vehicles is a xW-30.
I have no issues with xW-20 (I use it in a few vehicles), but just prefer a 30 weight oil.
Depending on which Hyundai in your sig you are taking, it may have a 5W-40 option as well.

If I was having to go buy oil specifically for the trip, I would pick a synthetic 10w-30.
Even Supertech would be fine with me, but Mobil does have their rebate going, so after rebate, Mobil 1 EP is about the same price as ST.

Last edited:
Whichever grade of oil you choose bring at least 2 qts of oil with you. Check your oil every now & then. Check tire pressure, (reserve tire as well), brake fluid, coolant. I would check air filter too, so your engine will run efficient. Just a thought.....

Last edited:
Whichever grade of oil you choose bring at least 2 qts of oil with you. Check your oil every now & then. Check tire pressure, (reserve tire as well), brake fluid, coolant. I would check air filter too, so your engine will run efficient. Just a thought.....
Best answer i've read so far.

I have said this before I tow a 5,000 pound travel trailer all over the Rocky Mountain West. The manual for my 2018 SIlverado-5.3 calls for 0/20w and that's what it gets. It has 36,000 miles on it and hasn't blown up yet.

Your requirement isn't any where near demanding as mine. As posted-It really doesn't matter.

I took 2 of my Kia's to the West Coast from Texas on separate trips, used 5w30 in both, did not need to add any oil on either.

I have said this before I tow a 5,000 pound travel trailer all over the Rocky Mountain West. The manual for my 2018 SIlverado-5.3 calls for 0/20w and that's what it gets. It has 36,000 miles on it and hasn't blown up yet.

You are bound to trigger a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth with that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back