5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic for long interstate trip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai allows 5W20 (oil cap) , 5W30 and 10W30 (as higher temps warrant) ... Planning a drive from Georgia to the West Coast and back all on interstate / highway roads which is constant 55 MPH or higher the whole trip (except when passing through or near a large city) . I'm planning to run either M1 EP or Castrol EP 5W20 , 5W30 or even 10W30 which are 20,000 mile synthetic oils . My entire trip should be under 10,000 miles and once I return home I plan to change the oil and filter (Fram Ultra) . *Which oil do you go with and why ? Thanks in advance !

I’d go with the recommended oil from Hyundai. A good quality 5w-20 should be able to withstand the heat, especially since you’re taking highways.

I'd use the 5w30 Extended performance it , and make sure you don't go over 7500mi on the OCI otherwise I'd expect Hyundai to give you a very hard time if you ever have a problem that needs fixed under warranty, consider that almost all driving conditions except driving straight on the highway are considered severe service by Hyundai and you're supposed to reduce the OCI so I'm gonna say that if you wish to have your warranty remain intact do not exceed the normal service OCI ever.

Your trip will be approximately 4,500 miles of interstate driving, which is very easy on the oil. My question is, how long will you run the oil before dumping, considering how many highway miles you'll have?

The only reason I could see going with a xw30 over the xw20 would be if you plan on driving at very high speeds. Otherwise the 5w20 is all you need.

Just on 100 mile trips down to visit my Mother in Law South of Boston from NH, our Subaru is sounding pretty clattery by the time we get off the Interstate highway running about 75mph. I would go with the 5W30 - it gives you more choices and I've found the latest DEXOS 1 oils to be very stout.
I've always gotten BETTER gas mileage on the highway with a thicker oil - the thin was only a benefit around town constantly running up the engine rpms. Steady state you get good ring sealing and a tad more cyl pressure with the thicker oil - Ken

Q: Have you run the car on a 30 before and do you know how the VVT responds to it?

I'd suggest M1EP 5w-20 from O'Reilly

M1 is offering a $15 rebate on a 5qt, O'Reilly is offering a $10 mail-in rebate, and I have successfully pricematched O'Reilly to Walmart

Flip a coin because it just really doesn't matter.

Doyall is right.

But since this is BITOG and splitting hairs is what we do, I'd run the 10w30 if picking an oil just for the trip. Highway miles are very easy on oil, but with the sustained higher rpms technically a little higher HTHS would be a better pick. Thus 10w30 would be my choice.

Hyundai allows 5W20 (oil cap) , 5W30 and 10W30 (as higher temps warrant) ... Planning a drive from Georgia to the West Coast and back all on interstate / highway roads which is constant 55 MPH or higher the whole trip (except when passing through or near a large city) . I'm planning to run either M1 EP or Castrol EP 5W20 , 5W30 or even 10W30 which are 20,000 mile synthetic oils . My entire trip should be under 10,000 miles and once I return home I plan to change the oil and filter (Fram Ultra) . *Which oil do you go with and why ? Thanks in advance !
If you are going to be driving over 70mph use 10-30. If 70 or under use 5-30. 5-20 is just too light for trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back