5W - 50 viscosity spread and A3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked for Mobil 1 15W-50 to put in my 304 but couldn't find it anywhere in Sydney. I even rang Mobil and they told me either that I wouldn't be able to buy it or that I would have to use 1L or 20L containers ???????

Anyway, I settled on Mobil 1 5W-50. It is available EVERYWHERE

Now everyone says this will shear due to added VI improvers but this oil is A3 rated. Doesn't this indicate it will stay in grade a long time? I plan to change it at approx 7000 km.

Thanks.

Andrew

The 15W50 is a far better oil. Mobil distributors have 20-litre drums and it saves a fortune buying it that way. 5W50 is 'everywhere' and reasonably cheap. Did you get the Supersyn version as theres still Trisyn on the shelves?

This is the funny part...in Canada, you can get the M-1 15-50 anywhere for $27-30/4L...and the one's on the shelves have dust on them an inch thick.

That's because 1. no automobile manual really calls for this viscosity anymore (except 90's Euro cars)and 2. it's below 10 C for half the year. Yet, they won't make the 5-50 available...go figure...

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
This is the funny part...in Canada, you can get the M-1 15-50 anywhere for $27-30/4L...and the one's on the shelves have dust on them an inch thick.

No kidding! Dr.T, next time you're in the Winston Churchill Walmart, check out the single bottles of 15w50, they've got some stuff which is at least 6 or 7 years old, as it's the SJ formulation "Advanced Formula" version! (the version BEFORE TriSynthetic!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back