5w-40 Shell Rotella syn 6768 miles 97 GMC 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck loves this oil.

gmcreport.jpg

For the OEM spec, maybe ..but it's spot on for the oil.

Viscosity
@ 40°C cSt ( D445)
100°C cSt (D445)

There's no reason not to stretch this out from my view. I'd probably do a routine air plumbing check.

Your OCI is about double the average but your wear metals are about 1/3 the average. On top of that you had 4.3 TBN remaining. I would say that this is a great oil choice for this application. I am always preaching 5W40 for most of N. America and especialy for GM V8's. RTS 5W40 being the price per performance leader. I love it when 5W30 get's it's teeth kicked in by 5W40 as we can easily assume the averages are running the recomended 5W30 as it is the most sold oil in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Viscosity
@ 40°C cSt ( D445)
100°C cSt (D445)

There's no reason not to stretch this out from my view. I'd probably do a routine air plumbing check.

I guess I haven't yet seen a VOA or UOA with a 100C cSt that high. Looked odd to me is all : )

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Viscosity
@ 40°C cSt ( D445)
100°C cSt (D445)

I guess I haven't yet seen a VOA or UOA with a 100C cSt that high. Looked odd to me is all : )

Mine was 15.4.

NICE viscosity retention! Didn't budge!

Great results - low the add-pack on that oil, lots of detergent in there to keep things clean. Oil could have easily done 10k, if you wanted.

The viscosity retention is pretty typical of Shell products. If it were a diesel, or the test had high insolubles, you could blame it on thickening, but I don't think that's the case here. All my tests on Rotella have show them maintaining their viscosity and good TBN retention as well.

Rotella's 10W30 holds viscosity just as well. I can't wait to try the new T6 version.

That's a mighty fine UOA, especially considering the miles on the truck.

Last edited:
The Rotella 10w30 is a dino oil suitable for gasoline applications, right?

I've entered into a bet with a Subaru-enthusiast that my 08 Legacy GT can run a dino oil for 3500 miles without shearing it down. He says it'll shear. He might be right, as these engines are known for destroying a variety of oils.

Anyway, I was planning on running Castrol GTX 10w30 for the bet. However, if Rotella 10w30 is suitable....well, maybe I'll stack the deck :)

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA

Yes, but this is Rotella T Synthetic 5w40. Regular Rotella is available in many grades besides the usual 15w40 (by special order, its not stocked on the shelves most places) but RT Synthetic is not available in any grade but 5w40 AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA

Yes, but this is Rotella T Synthetic 5w40. Regular Rotella is available in many grades besides the usual 15w40 (by special order, its not stocked on the shelves most places) but RT Synthetic is not available in any grade but 5w40 AFAIK.

Yes, but in his case the difference, aside from any true need for the 40 visc, would probably pan out to duration of use.

I'm also wondering what the previous oils were. Also curious about the driving patterns. Any towing?

I just bought a 1999 Chevy C2500 pickup truck with this same 5.7L engine. It has 125k miles on it and was used as a work truck by my brother-in-law. It needs an oil change and I was thinking about a HM oil. This UOA has changed my mind.

i normally run penzoil platinum 5w30-10w30 in my taco with 145k miles on her. i may change to the RTS 5w40 before too long. good stuff for a good price. i am giong to switch my 98 honda 4wheeler to this as well. (thanks daman lol)

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
i normally run penzoil platinum 5w30-10w30 in my taco with 145k miles on her. i may change to the RTS 5w40 before too long. good stuff for a good price. i am giong to switch my 98 honda 4wheeler to this as well. (thanks daman lol)

LOL...
thumbsup2.gif
or 15w40!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back