5w-40 in a MOPAR 4.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
nhkid: Sorry it took so long but I don't read this everyday. The 5.2 is a good motor however there have been some problems that have come up. I think the link's that were given to you earlier show what I was going to say.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
My wife just got an '03 Durango with the 4.7. I have been reading that you shouldn't do extended drains (over 3,000 miles) with this engine because of sludging problems. Something about the pickup screen getting clogged up. Was reading this on dodgedakotas.com.
cheers.gif

Your first mistake is believing what you read on DodgeDakotas.com . You would enjoy Dodgetalk.com and dodgetrucks.org much better. The knowledege base is far better on the latter two websites.

I'm using Amsoil ATM 10w-30 in my 2000 4.7 Dakota and I currently have 13,000 miles and 11 months on my oil. This engine has not burned any oil. I did change the filter at 6 months.

The idea of running a 10w-40 has crossed my mind also. I live in the hot Mojave desert and believe that the 40 weight oil will be more shear stable and retain it's viscosity better during the scorching summer months. I will be following this thread diligently.

Bill,

Well I cannot find any Mobil1 T&S anywhere. I live in Ft. Washington, MD. I went to all the Auto Zones and Pep Boys and drew a blank each time. I have my oil done at a Quick Lube for 7 years. Same guy's always worked there and they have not even heard of it either. Is there somewhere that even sells the delvac1? I cannot find it. I am going to switch to this "diesel oil" because I have been reading how good it is for engines and it will definitely be a benefit to my engine which I plan on taking to 500,000 miles hopefully.

Well, I am using 10w-30 M1 and I must say the truck does run somewhat smoother. 300 miles now on the new oil. I think I am going to stay with this for awhile. I have been reading some good things about this oil on other threads here so it is worth a try for awhile at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back