5W-30W ???

Your Jetta will list what the correct oil is (it will have a VW approval requirement) in the owner's manual.

Mobil (note the lack of an e on the end) also has an oil selector tool:

When I plug your car in, I get a recommendation for Mobil Super Synthetic Euro 5w-40:

Which has VW 502.00 and 505.00 approvals.

Those approvals also exist on Mobil 1 FS 0w-40, so if you wanted to run a Mobil 1 product, that would be the one that's appropriate for your vehicle.

Jake, from State Farm?

What Are You Wearing Jake?!

Likely you got a counterfeit oil from the grey market
As there is no such thing as 5W-30W or Mobile One.
Often time this is Re-branded Sinclair from New old stock.
The Green Brontosaurus on the oil can assures you that this is indeed organic Dino oil, not fake, man-made ingredients.

Hi, long time since have been here... I bought Mobile One Synthetic oil, 5w-30W for my 2012 VW Jetta SEL, 5-Cyl. Did I buy the wrong oil???
Thanks
Fred J.
Your manual calls for spec. VW502, 5W-30 or 5W-40.
Vanilla M1 5W-30 doesn't have VW502 approval
Approved Mobil oil for your Jetta SEL would be M1 0W-40 FS
But since you are out of warranty by now the M1 5W-30 will do probably fine
I would still consider M1 0W-40 FS if it was me

50200/50500 Approved Motor Oils

Attachments

• 502-505.pdf
    153.2 KB · Views: 32
Your Jetta will list what the correct oil is (it will have a VW approval requirement) in the owner's manual.

Mobil (note the lack of an e on the end) also has an oil selector tool:

When I plug your car in, I get a recommendation for Mobil Super Synthetic Euro 5w-40:

Which has VW 502.00 and 505.00 approvals.

Those approvals also exist on Mobil 1 FS 0w-40, so if you wanted to run a Mobil 1 product, that would be the one that's appropriate for your vehicle.
This. This is how to properly reply to a question posted on this site. My respect goes to you @OVERKILL. 👏👏👏🤝👍. Short, helpful, to the point, and most importantly RESPECTFUL. *insert firm handshake here*

P.S. I'm taking notes here, and would advice anyone reading this to do the same. Instead of trying to pun, shame, or bully the original poster, just because one has a bit more knowledge than OP. Get off the high horse once in a while, if you recognize yourself as one of a dozen people that I described in previous sentence... Make BITOG great again!

This. This is how to properly reply to a question posted on this site. My respect goes to you @OVERKILL. 👏👏👏🤝👍. Short, helpful, to the point, and most importantly RESPECTFUL. *insert firm handshake here*

P.S. I'm taking notes here, and would advice anyone reading this to do the same. Instead of trying to pun, shame, or bully the original poster, just because one has a bit more knowledge than OP. Get off the high horse once in a while, if you recognize yourself as one of a dozen people that I described in previous sentence... Make BITOG great again!
Looked absolutely like a troll to me.

If you know NOTHING about cars and oils, do you search out some obscure forum or do you ask a friend or colleague for advice - BEFORE you buy the product?

And again there is the OM to read or a VW dealer to call or even VW.

This unbiquitous social media "trust" by so many is a shaky ground to walk indeed.

Maybe we need an "Oil Newbie thread"

Looked absolutely like a troll to me.

If you know NOTHING about cars and oils, do you search out some obscure forum or do you ask a friend or colleague for advice - BEFORE you buy the product?

And again there is the OM to read or a VW dealer to call or even VW.

This unbiquitous social media "trust" by so many is a shaky ground to walk indeed.

Maybe we need an "Oil Newbie thread"
Let's assume for a moment the OP were in fact a troll. What better way to deprive them of satisfaction than to give a factual, informative answer like OVERKILL did? If the OP then tries to take the thread off the rails (bUt My mEcHaNiC sEz I sHoUlD uSe OliVe OiL) and rustle your jimmies, then disengage. Super easy.

The BITOG forums are among the top search engine results for questions like "can i use 5w 30?" In fact, for me when I google this (without quotes), a BITOG forum thread is the top result (with quotes i get a VW vortex forum thread; also I believe the algorithms spit out results on a user-unique basis, so YMMV). When googling other real questions that I've had an interest in in the past, BITOG has been among the top results (top half of first page). which is how I found the site So the site really isn't obscure for someone looking for a specific oil answer via search engine. So while I understand the site gets a lot of trolls, it would not be surprising for it to get a lot of new users with questions from inexperienced visitors that seem trollish to frequent visitors, especially if they don't take the time to get a feel for the forum ahead of time and just post as soon as they find the site (which most people just looking for a specific answer and not really interested in oil probably doing the latter).

The only counter note I would concede is that posting a question on BITOG does take a little more effort than quora or yahoo answers, etc, due to needing to register a unique ID (other sites may allow you to use an existing ID from a social media site), so you could argue legit non-trolls may be steered to ask elsewhere just b/c of the minimal effort to register

In terms of why a newbie wouldn't ask a friend first. Maybe they don't have a mechanically inclined friend, maybe they did and got a blank stare, etc. In terms of why buy something without knowing and then asking a question after the fact, that is a legitimate observation, but, again, I also think it's also behavior that is common. A lot of people buy on impulse then second guess

So I know the site gets a lot of troll questions, I am not judging whether this one is or is not, but even assuming this is one, why not just not respond and let the thread drop off the first page like a stone, or, as suggested above, give a simple factual reference and not further feed the troll. Any type of rise, even if it's calling a question out as a troll, is what they want anyways

Friends usually know more than the collective wisdom of forums with lots of professionals on it.

Take it back, go buy some Mobil 1 0w-40, and today is your lucky day as the Mobil1 Annual rebate starts today so you can get $10 back on your jugs you buy today.

My experience owning a 2013 Jetta with the 5cyl 2.5, you will be fine using any Full Synthetic 5W-30 even if they do not carry the VW spec.

The VW 2.5 was one of the last naturally aspirated non DI and non Turbo that VW has made. The VW spec oils for them were more for ensuring extended 10K drain intervals than anything else. I ran many miles on whatever sale brand of 5W-30 synthetic I had around on 5K-7K OCI's with no issue.

While the number of posts asking "which oil?" are numerous, if you don't want to give a reasonable answer, don't give any. Specifically referring to the drumbeat of "RTFM". The oil requirements for a 9 year old car have been superseded many times over. For example my Kia manual says SM/GF-4/A5 (and above). It being a GDI engine, there are oils that have been developed to deal specifically with the problems inherent with that technology, so for an old car this is a reasonable place to ask about the currently preferred oil.

Back