5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

If you are a believer in the 3000 mile dino oil change interval, then would not a 5w-30 be the optimal oil viscosity? I do believe that a 10w-30 has less vi,s, but how much of a difference does that make in 3000 miles anyways?

More than you think. I have seen 5w30 Mobil 1 thinned out to a 5w20 in only 2000 miles. Just imagine how quickly a conventional 5w30 would thin with hard use.

Bob, I think it will depend on where you live. Here in Dallas, I don't think there is any advantage to the 5w30 over the 10w30.

Patman, I believe you've seen them too, but according to the 5w30 analysis I've seen, Mobil has fixed the thinning problem with the SyperSyn.

Chris, I have noticed that the latest SuperSyn 5w30 analysis posted here showed that, as well as another one. So if it's true, that is awesome.

On a technical note, what could M1 have changed in order to lessen the thinning out problem with it's 5w30? A better base oil? Different VI improvers?

Patman,

I would think that a slightly different base oil would do the trick. For example, by using an advanced PAO of 8 cSt (100 C) with a wider VII would certainly help.

I am convinced that oil companies are looking at sites such as this one and examining the UOA threads to tweak their products.

If I were an oil company or blender, I would be stupid NOT to check-in to the wealth of info on boards such as this. While it's the engineers and chemists who come up with the new products, it's the user's and mechanics who really provide the practical, useful feedback they need.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Patman,

I am convinced that oil companies are looking at sites such as this one and examining the UOA threads to tweak their products.

If I were an oil company or blender, I would be stupid NOT to check-in to the wealth of info on boards such as this. While it's the engineers and chemists who come up with the new products, it's the user's and mechanics who really provide the practical, useful feedback they need.

Just look at the number of guests that are listed at the bottom of the home page.
dunno.gif

Quote:
"I am convinced that oil companies are looking at sites such as this one and examining the UOA threads to tweak their products"

If so about large companies beyond oil only,Fram is seeing some opinions and observations about their stuff!

If Fram is indeed listening, and wants to make a better name for themselves, maybe they should think about replacing those cardboard endcaps with metal, and those inferior bypass/antidrainback valves with better ones. Then I would consider buying them again. But right now if you do a Google search on the net under Fram oil filters, what you find out there is some scary info. I did just that search this morning and found at least 10 links with some pretty scary info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back